Sign in to follow this  

Help no Spark

Hi, I have a 2004 crf50. It appears to have no spark by grounding out spark plug and kicking it. I cleaned all connections and put dielectric grease on each connection and still no spark. I then replaced the coil and still no spark. What else could I check and how? Does anyone have a service manual they could pm me? Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

I had this happen to my 12volt CT70... when I was trying to sell it.

Turned out to be a loose electrical pickup. The nodule that picks up the electrical pulse off the flywheel was loose. I replaced everything, plug, coil, cdi box... trying to figure out why I lost spark. I finally checked the screws on the pickup... first I took it off and cleaned it, then put it back on and bam, spark.

Could also be a bad plug too, or wrong gap. I've also dropped a plug right before I installed it and it fell right on the tip and pinched it shut... again, no spark. Sounds like you already checked your ground wire too, but that's often the problem.

I had this happen to my 12volt CT70... when I was trying to sell it.

Turned out to be a loose electrical pickup. The nodule that picks up the electrical pulse off the flywheel was loose. I replaced everything, plug, coil, cdi box... trying to figure out why I lost spark. I finally checked the screws on the pickup... first I took it off and cleaned it, then put it back on and bam, spark.

Could also be a bad plug too, or wrong gap. I've also dropped a plug right before I installed it and it fell right on the tip and pinched it shut... again, no spark. Sounds like you already checked your ground wire too, but that's often the problem.

Good idea man. I did get voltage from the magneto wires,but with a service Manuel I have no idea what it should be. Thanks again I will check that.:thumbsup:

Something else to consider and relatively easy to check. If either one of the switches is failed (shorted), you won't get spark. If you have continuity across either switch in both OFF and RUN positions, the bike won't run. Also, a wire in the switch circuit that is shorted to ground could cause the same problem. I would expect that to be more of an intermittent problem, but there could be a hard short.

Thanks for all the help guy's. It was the CDI. Runs like a champ. The nephew can hit the track this weekend.:thumbsup::banana: