Sign in to follow this  

rebuild my xr250 or get a xr400?

What's up. I'm a 26 year old female and have been riding trails for over 5 years. Started on a 94 xr100 then went to a 85 xr200 then to a 88 xr250. Started getting into motocross and bought a 91 cr125 that I've be riding on the trails because my 250 is down. My 88 xr250 has xr350 front end new tires, sprockets, chain, brakes, bars, and the list goes on. But the engine is tired and I have a lot of valve train noise. I suspect a stretch cam chain. Anyways I'm trying to decide weather to get a big bore kit and cam and rebuild the 250 or just by a 400. Thoughts?

Rebuild the XR250,and get the XR 400,you will like them both!

I have both xr440-xr300.On hard trails the xr440 takes a back seat to the xr300.Also you will find if you put a trials tire on the xr250-280-300.It is cheating.

I agree with XR_RON, 2 bikes are always better than 1! :thumbsup:

It's not like your gonna get a lot if you sell the 250 so might as well keep it. 1 rebiuld and it's good to go for another 20 years.

Haha ya I'm definately not selling the 250 I couldn't really get anything for it. 2 bikes is definately better then one but if I get a 400 that makes 4 bikes lol. I still have my xr200 and I have a cr125. Oh well both it is

I have both xr440-xr300.On hard trails the xr440 takes a back seat to the xr300.Also you will find if you put a trials tire on the xr250-280-300.It is cheating.

Are trials tires only good for hard rock? I ride a combo of large loose rock, slick hard pack, lots of roots, and occasional sand. I have a dunlop 752 and have most problems on the roots and slick hardpack.

Also, I just rebuilt my xr250 with wiseco 277 kit and love it. Im only 5'4 so the bike is light enough for me, and has good power.