Sign in to follow this  

1976 175 gp

Picked it up last saturday. Was not as in good of shape as I hoped. The motor was not locked up,that was a good start. Fuel tank was half full of something I believe was once gasoline. Missing the chain tensioner and front number plate otherwise mostly complete.

The bad first. Chain must have unloaded at one time and took a piece of the right side engine case wth it. Fuel tank is full of rust,throttle cable looks it came off a go cart. Also incorrect handle bars.

The good. Carb was clean as a whistle. Has spark and compression. Forks and wheels are in great shape for a bike that I would guess has been sitting for at least five years.

Spent almost all night and half the next day flushing fluids and cleaning and lubricating everything that had been neglected. Now was time to fire it up. Seeing the tank was soo bad I used a gas can and ran a hose. After about twenty kicks it fired. It ran for about twenty seconds at a time at first then after it warmed up a bit I was able to adjust the carb. Now it starts right up just by setting the choke as you should.

Now can't wait to replace the hokey throttle cable and get a new chain to take it for a spin. I guess overall paying less than five hundred for it I feel I did pretty good.I just dont know what to do about the fuel tank. Other than the rust inside the tank looks great. I've heard about those coatings you can use but do they really work?

Just about any tank from 1973 to 1980 will work. Get a trick aluminum tank from a Crwhatever. It may cost as much as you spent for the bike for an undented one.

Eastwood.com is supposed to make a good sealer.