Where to move? Please help!

Hey guys. haven't been on in a while, but I need some help.:ride:

I currently live in Kingsport, TN but am planning to move soon. Motorcycle life ( in general ) is incredibly slow here. worthless,actually:lame:. I run my own landscaping business, and I am also a certified technician. My plan is to continue to run business on both sides. Which isn't going to work out here. So I'm looking for help on where to move.

I want to move somewhere that I will obviously have fertile land to bring in landscaping business. And I want a fairly large motorcycle scene - offroad preferred but I figure where road racing is big, motocross will be too.

I have lived in Ormond Beach and Orlando in Florida. The racing scene obviously thrives there, but let's face it, other than supercross the real motocross is near mountains and hills. Plus I am an avid snowboarder and downhill mtb-er, so completely flat just won't do. Northeast won't do either, as I don't like extreme cold.( I can deal with it during snowboarding, but I need a hot summer :worthy: )

I would love suggestions from people on here as to places they live or know, that have a decent scene for these things, and aren't 'dead-end' towns. Obviously low-crime areas are preferred, I love it in northeast tennessee, there just isn't room for business growth here.

California (southern) is the perfect place, but I hate their gun laws, car laws, bike laws. and the cost of living is ridiculous. let's just face it, all their laws suck. ( no offense guys, CA is beautiful )

I have also thought about Colorado, but don't know much about it.. as well as Asheville, NC ( the business side is great, but motocross? )

I am open to ALL suggestions!!! thanks guys!!!!?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver is tough to beat. 4 really good MX tracks within 30 minutes of my house - IMI with multiple tracks, Berthoud with awesome grooming plus a 5 mile hare scrambles layout, Milliken (site of AMA Vintage championships and best dirt in CO) and Lakewood/Thunder Valley (site of AMA Nationals and MX of Nations). All are open year round. Hundreds of acres of marked trails in the southern foothills (Rampart Range) plus more mountain trails and fire roads than you can ride in a lifetime. Very liberal dual-sport laws and regs - I've registered two conversions without so much as a visual inspection. Very active regional associations - SRAC and RMXA. Tons of pavement activity - 700 bikes at Quaker Steak bike night last Wednesday. Even supermoto is still alive here... Of course, the snow thing speaks for itself ... hit the slopes in the morning and come back down the hill to ride in the afternoon. PM me if you wanna know more...

Cant tell you where to move but I grew up around the Nasville area and back in the early 80's we had more places to ride and race than you could shake a fist at.What a great state Tn. was for motocross,the dirt,the hills,the scenery.it had it all and one by one places started closing and everyone just kind of quit.Anyway,I live in Tulsa OK and there are a few tracks,two which are well maintained and the dirt bike scene out here is ok,not great but ok.Living expenses arent bad either,also in my opinion I see quite a bit of landscaping going on and lawn business seems to thrive.Most parts of this state are mainly flat,not all,but most around my area.Good luck,hope you find exactly what your looking for.I miss the area your in by the way,as that was some of the finest bowhunting I have ever experianced.

Salt Lake City, Utah! The people are friendly and they have money to spend. Epic snowboarding of course. Fantastic trails, youtube cherry creek. Little Sahara sand dunes are unreal. It's a short drive to Moab for the famous slickrock trail and I love the soverign trail. Green river and the whitesand wash is fantastic and not crowded at all. And they pretty much give you a gun when you cross the boarder.

What more can you ask for, oh yeah, the women are all stacked! Seriously, I have never seen that much lung capacity anywhere else in the country!

Salt Lake City, Utah! The people are friendly and they have money to spend. Epic snowboarding of course. Fantastic trails, youtube cherry creek. Little Sahara sand dunes are unreal. It's a short drive to Moab for the famous slickrock trail and I love the soverign trail. Green river and the whitesand wash is fantastic and not crowded at all. And they pretty much give you a gun when you cross the boarder.

What more can you ask for, oh yeah, the women are all stacked! Seriously, I have never seen that much lung capacity anywhere else in the country!

?

lol thumbs up for that one. I'll check it out. Utah just seems to be one of those states your forget... at least, for the southeast anyways.

And the flyfishing! ?

Ashville, NC is a cool place. And from going through there a bunch of times I could tell you there would be plenty of mountain biking opportunities. But as far as the mx and landscaping goes, I don't know. I would personally recommend Greenville, SC. There are a good amount of mtb trails to ride, a couple of tracks (Lakeside mx, Possum Kingdom Mx...). It can get hot in the summer, but not blistering like other places in SC:thinking: It is definitely not flat, and I don't see why a landscaping business wouldn't do well there. You wouldn't be too far from the mountains either for snowboarding purposes (obviously nothing like colorado snowboarding)

Appreciate the tip... but Arizona seems like a bad place for landscaping business? and what about snowboarding or mtb? I don't want to have to drive 4 hours to ride my mtb everyday...

i live in Northern California about 45 mins from Reno NV in a small town called Truckee. its a pretty good place for moto. The tracks in Reno arent very good but if you drive about an hour and a half over the hill to the Marysville and the Auburn area you have Hangtown/Prarie City, E Street and MMX which are all pretty good tracks. we have Northstar At Tahoe for Downhill Mountain Biking and loads of MX single track and long trail rides. only thing thats bad about up here is the Snow! but if i had a choice of where to live it would be In Southern California

Colorado. Grand Junction or Eastern Slope of Colorado. If your into dirt biking GJ is hard to beat and if you like sand Green River, Ut has White wash or aka Dubinki(I think it is pronounced like that). But for MX Eastern Slope...Loveland, Denver, Fort Collins or Colorado Springs. If you like mountain trails GJ has plenty of slick rock and mountain trails within an hour or check out Durango, CO it has alot of mountain bike and trail bike trails. Also GJ doesn't get as much snow as else where in Colorado most of the time it is melted by noon but ski resorts all over Colorado with in 1/2-2 1/2 hrs. Telluride is about 1.5-2 hrs away and in my opinion is a hidden gem of ski resorts in Colorado.

Edited by MikyB

You could always give the Northwest a whirl. A lot less liberal than Kali, lots of places to ride, and we have the mountains with several, awesome, ski resorts, and we have the coast which is always a nice get away.

I think a little more detail is in order. It's a lot less liberal than California IF you're not in the Seattle or Portland metro areas. And in Eugene, all the hippies like to chase away business then complain when there are no jobs. It's the large metro areas that drive the politics. I moved up here from southern California and thought it would be more conservative, but in many ways, it's more liberal.

I've always like Idaho, Utah and Colorado, but I think a lot of Californians have moved to Colorado and contaminated the state. Things were starting to change in Colorado 15 years ago when I was last there and I can imagine it's only gotten worse. I spent about a year there over a 4 year time span and was able to see the changes.

Where I ride in Idaho, I've only seen 2 other riders in the last 7 years. I've seen some horse riders, too, but they had absolutely no ill will towards us dirt bikers. In fact, the one lady asked if she didn't mind her bringing her dog over to be near the bikes because she wanted the dog not to be afraid of machines. He was a bit skittish. Oddly, the horses had no problems with the bikes.

It might be tough to get a job in Idaho, though. My friend in Boise says you don't come there unless you have a job lined up. But, it's got good desert and mountain riding.

What kind of technician work would you be looking for?