Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake locking after new Cable xr200r

1981 Honda XR200R. I bought it with the front brake cable broken and missing from the lever half way down to the cam. I had it apart and everything in all the parts are there. and its not in to bad of condition and certainly with spec of the manual.

When I put a new cable on it was tighter than I normal. I got it all together though and adjusted to be as loose as possible but when I pull on the lever it doesn't spring back it just sticks and locks the front wheel.

I can push it back and the wheel unlocks. Am I missing a spring somewhere?

I want to ride it this weekend.

You should have a spring at the brake arm on the brake it self that opens the brake. If you take a look at a parts diagram on a parts website you'll see it.

I would also make sure that part #2 turns free in part #6. And that both of part #3 is in good shape and installed good.

Tom

I have in the past on a few bikes put a spring inside of the spring (part #11) to have more feel of the front brake.

Tom

Howdy doody I am an Idiot. turns out it was an over tightened lever bolt. I have crappy no name aftermarket levers and I put the pivot bolt on too tight. Never hurts to inspect the brakes very thoroughly though. I cleaned the dust out. soaked the rust off of the internal springs(3) and made sure the cam arm(9) and shaft(2) were clean and turning with ease. I also measured the thickness of the pads (1). to be sure we were still within spec.

I am not sure but I think the cam arm may have been placed on the shaft incorrectly making it hard for the cable to reach.

Thanks for the diagram and help guys.

Edited by curtorous

HowdyDoody.gif

Howdy says: Don't be afraid to move the actuator arm a little closer if need be, to give you a little more cable to work with...