Sign in to follow this  

2011 wr300 seized up

Rode my brand new wr300 like a baby last Saturday for 60+ miles. Got up Sunday for the same ride started easy but after about 10 mile turned it up a notch and in about ten more miles I seized it up. Waiting for Husky to tell me if it's covered under warranty. Bike felt rich down low, rich up high, but clean mid/part throttle. I read in here everybody hates the mik carb and that they are fat pigs. Anybody run in the dessert with one of these with the stock carb?:thumbsup:

Sorry to read about the seize.

I have a 2010 300 with the PWK airstriker. I bought the bike new obviously with the Mikuni, I dont know about 'every body hates' and they are 'fat pigs'. Yes they are jetted rich from the factory but that is the same as the kehein you still need to re jet to suit your local conditions.

I put a PWK on mine partly because many others have done so and yes it is slightly better for bottom end and mid range, but doesn't make the same top end as the Mikuni. I still had to spend several hours on jetting and now it runs great.

Have a look at Cafe Husky there are plenty of Mikuni fans on there. I'm not certain I would rush out again and buy a new Kehein, for the extra cash go and get the race head it makes a far bigger gain for half the price of the carb.

Go to Cafe Husky. The Mikuni can be gotten to work right. I have Keihin on my WR150 but I think if I had checked my float level on my Mik, I could have been satisfied with getting the correct jetting on my bike.

Running in the desert the mik is fine, some guys like the K better in the woods because the low end dials in easier, but know lots of good running miks in the woods too.

were you holding it at a steady rpm when it stuck? during a hard pull? or coming off throttle? bike have coolant? any sign of boiling? how much ethanol or mtb in your local fuel?

I was holding a steady high speed, probably around half throttle, on a sandy jeep trail. (But not to sandy, a two wheel drive picked me up no problem) I was actually getting up to my usual speed down that trail to see how it is geared. It does need to be geared faster so that the RPM's are lower, but I usually go down that trail at 50 - 55 on my KLX450. I also do this same route on my yz 250 (13x47 gearing) and my yz 490 (don't remember gearing). I am not a complete newby on a two stoke, and this is the first time I have ever seized one. Do not know the ethanol content, shell 91. Lucas oil at 40:1.

Do you know what jetting is in it? There was an update to 2011 WR250 and 300's. Depending on your vin, your bike may have already came with it, but I would check. You should have a 420 main, 45 pilot, 6GAY69-74 needle in the 3rd position, 4.0 slide and an 80 starter jet (in the choke). I have a 2011 WR250 and I'm running Husky's 250 recommendations on it (little different than these) with just a bit of fine tuning. I do run race gas, but the 250 has higher compression so the 300 may be ok on pump.

Holding a twostroke even a good jetted one steady in the midrange can build a lot of heat on the piston crown. usually what happens is the timing is close to max advance at mid rpms and the fueling is lean because the load is light resulting in a small throttle opening which has you on the fat (lean part) of the needle

not blaming you, it may have been something else completely but just sayin' for future reference.

I do not know the jetting, I did not take the carb apart to look. It is whatever came in it. Husky is going to fix it under warranty :thumbsup: . I will definitely drop the clip two to start with (I wouldn't think 1 notch would take it from safe to meltdown) and not cruise on the pipe. Need to get it geared, but I picked it up Friday and was riding it Saturday morning and being a Wr thought it would have more top speed. The dealer said no signs of detonation, and plenty of oil, just LOTS of heat (plenty of coolant). Sure makes me loose confidence in this as I usually make this loop by myself. Pretty sad when I have more confidence in my 85 yz490 than my 2011 wr300 :ride:

glad to hear they're covering it. HUGE bummer man! Just make sure they check out the water pump before giving it back too... I'd also make sure they look at reed block. Like many others, I had to put some sealant on mine since the idiots that made it put hte part number stamping right in the middle of where it seals. How dumb!?!

Like was said before, have them check the air tract for leaks that would cause a lean condition, but if it has lots of oil but alot of heat, there has to be another reason. Thats kind of scary considering it cam like that from the factory and you didnt do anything to it. Hard to narrow down what could have been done or what went wrong.

I am not sure about an air leak because it was rich at idle, I would think if there was an air leak it would be lean at idle. I am leaning towards the needle in the wrong position. As you all can imagine I have been spending lots of time on this stupid computer researching. I did come up with one comment from a Husky race tech who said put the clip on #4, the manual says stock is #2. I hope it is that simple. :thumbsup:

man, sorry to hear this. My 09 wr300 has been reliable as a hammer

Ben

Save yourself a lot of time, money, and griff in the future. Contact any or all these Husky resources for serious performance setups for your Husky:

1. Zipty Racing

2. Uptite Husqvarna

3. Eric's Motorcycles.

The all three are masters and have many years of experience in Huqvarna motorcycles 2/4 strokes and all three are in the Southern California area.

Ben I talked to Joe about your bike last week when i was at the shop.I personally

have and race the the neck out of both a WR 250 and Wr 300.Have done 2 years worth of Nationals on the 250 and now raced the 300 for 6 months. I can pin it for miles or lug it no problem in the desert or in the mountains never change the jetting. I rode the new 2011 Wr 250 and 300 at the Husky demo/press day both those bikes ran PERFECT.

Have Joe call Brent Harden at Husky and see how those bikes were jetted.If he does not have the number I can call him for you.

Ben,

The jetting specs I gave you in my previous post is right off a recent Husky bulletin. Some WR's came with some leaner jetting. For those bikes affected there is a free kit that includes all the needed jets. For the 2011 WR300 the part number is 8000H1013. I suspect your dealer has already taken care of this if your bike needed it, but when it comes to jetting, I don't assume anything is correct. When I got my 2011 WR250, I didn't even start it before I pulled the carb and verified everything was correct. Anyone can make a mistake and I don't want someone's mistake to lead to my bike in pieces.

Ben I talked to Joe about your bike last week when i was at the shop.I personally

have and race the the neck out of both a WR 250 and Wr 300.Have done 2 years worth of Nationals on the 250 and now raced the 300 for 6 months. I can pin it for miles or lug it no problem in the desert or in the mountains never change the jetting. I rode the new 2011 Wr 250 and 300 at the Husky demo/press day both those bikes ran PERFECT.

Have Joe call Brent Harden at Husky and see how those bikes were jetted.If he does not have the number I can call him for you.

Thanks I'll bug him tomorrow. Mined wasn't pinned, I was riding about 1/2-1/3 throttle on a sandy jeep trail for about two mile when it let go.

Ben,

The jetting specs I gave you in my previous post is right off a recent Husky bulletin. Some WR's came with some leaner jetting. For those bikes affected there is a free kit that includes all the needed jets. For the 2011 WR300 the part number is 8000H1013. I suspect your dealer has already taken care of this if your bike needed it, but when it comes to jetting, I don't assume anything is correct. When I got my 2011 WR250, I didn't even start it before I pulled the carb and verified everything was correct. Anyone can make a mistake and I don't want someone's mistake to lead to my bike in pieces.

Thanks for the info, I can't find that tech bulletin but I have that bag of jets in the box of parts that came with the bike. At least now I have a good baseline to go to. I just thought the bag of jets was for fine tuning, not its life! :thumbsup: