Sign in to follow this  

New Husaberg? FX or FE?

I am considering replacing my tired ol 2007 KTM 450EXC with a new Husaberg.

I want a bike similar to my EXC.

The 2010 FX450 is a the top of my list due to price. I can add lights speedo and other stuff later.

Question... will I be disappointed with the FX and should I spring for the FE?

Thanks

From what I hear, the FX is a great bike. Geared differently for the track even though it is not a "true" motocross bike but damn skillful all the same. A great woods bike. Less weight because it doesn't have the all the lights and wiring but I think this is minimal. Mapping on the FX has more mid range and gives it more "punch" when the throttle is twisted. All in all, not a whole lot of difference besides those in the FE450 and the FX450 from my understanding. Most of the parts are interchangable, in fact, I don't know what wouldn't be.

Or... You could go the route that I did as I too was crossed between the two bikes. I found a great deal on a 2010 FE450 and placed the mapping from the FX into it. Great combo.... I will end up removing all the lights though (headlight and tail light).

I will end up removing all the lights though (headlight and tail light).

If I get the bike would you consider selling them to me?

Dealer lent me a FX for the weekend, I have to say, very nice bike! The close ratio trans was beautiful along with the motor. The things that steered me away from buying was...

a. Small tank and aftermarket is $500+

b. No kickstarter

c. No kickstarter if something goes wrong like if you leave the lights on.

d. No way to bump start it if the battery is dead and you have a rekluse

e. Short wheel base, the thing cant keep the front end down.

f. If you race, youll never get a holeshot because the electric motor cant spin the motor over fast enough.

g. Maybe its not important but the resale sucks.

Now, I race so I had to look at everything but all in all I think the FE is a better option. Other then lights, you also get the odometer and wider ratio transmission. As my only bike, I couldnt take the risk, but as a second bike, they are hands down my number 1 choice. Ive been racing a 08 YZ 250 and the husaberg felt like a 2t. It was amazing!

If I get the bike would you consider selling them to me?

Mmmmm... Doubt it. If I ever sold the bike in the future, the potential buyer would probably want them. However, they are cheap to buy on Bergparts.com and can be easily installed.

What part of Nevada are you in?

Dealer lent me a FX for the weekend, I have to say, very nice bike! The close ratio trans was beautiful along with the motor. The things that steered me away from buying was...

a. Small tank and aftermarket is $500+

b. No kickstarter

c. No kickstarter if something goes wrong like if you leave the lights on.

d. No way to bump start it if the battery is dead and you have a rekluse

e. Short wheel base, the thing cant keep the front end down.

f. If you race, youll never get a holeshot because the electric motor cant spin the motor over fast enough.

g. Maybe its not important but the resale sucks.

Now, I race so I had to look at everything but all in all I think the FE is a better option. Other then lights, you also get the odometer and wider ratio transmission. As my only bike, I couldnt take the risk, but as a second bike, they are hands down my number 1 choice. Ive been racing a 08 YZ 250 and the husaberg felt like a 2t. It was amazing!

a. Small tank and aftermarket is $500+ If racing long distance this can be an issue for sure. The sub-frame tank addition isn't cheap for most people but worth it.

b. No kickstarter Yup, this still scares me but not one issue yet. Battery tenders are great items. Not to mention a very small set of jumper cables in the Camelpak is always a good idea...:ride:

c. No kickstarter if something goes wrong like if you leave the lights on. On my FE, if the motor isn't running, the lights turn off automaticly.

d. No way to bump start it if the battery is dead and you have a rekluse No real need for the Rekluse in this bike IMHO.

e. Short wheel base, the thing cant keep the front end down. I don't find that it can't keep it down, the front end initially just feels really light. I think because of everything being centrally located on the bike. Once I dialed in the suspension, this went away. Bike turns on a dime and spits out 2 nickels.:thumbsup:

f. If you race, youll never get a holeshot because the electric motor cant spin the motor over fast enough. Makes me wonder about the bike you rode and the last time the battery was charged? If the battery is maintained, it starts immediatly without any hesitation....or at least on my FE.

g. Maybe its not important but the resale sucks. This I don't know about yet. I think the resale was hindered in the past because knobody knew a whole lot about the bikes. They are becoming much more mainstream today thanks to their new technology and KTM backing. Time will tell I guess.

I am considering replacing my tired ol 2007 KTM 450EXC with a new Husaberg.

I want a bike similar to my EXC.

The 2010 FX450 is a the top of my list due to price. I can add lights speedo and other stuff later.

Question... will I be disappointed with the FX and should I spring for the FE?

Thanks

I have both bikes, the 07 450 EXC and the 10 FX 450. If you want a low first gear like the EXC, get the FE. My FX is a blast to ride, though I do miss that low gear. Mostly when I screwup.

a. Small tank and aftermarket is $500+ If racing long distance this can be an issue for sure. The sub-frame tank addition isn't cheap for most people but worth it.

b. No kickstarter Yup, this still scares me but not one issue yet. Battery tenders are great items. Not to mention a very small set of jumper cables in the Camelpak is always a good idea...:ride:I do a few over night trips here and there and it can be cold in the morning. I dont want to even worry about that during the night!

c. No kickstarter if something goes wrong like if you leave the lights on. On my FE, if the motor isn't running, the lights turn off automaticly.

d. No way to bump start it if the battery is dead and you have a rekluse No real need for the Rekluse in this bike IMHO.I dont run a rekluse personally but alot of guys do!

e. Short wheel base, the thing cant keep the front end down. I don't find that it can't keep it down, the front end initially just feels really light. I think because of everything being centrally located on the bike. Once I dialed in the suspension, this went away. Bike turns on a dime and spits out 2 nickels.:thumbsup:

f. If you race, youll never get a holeshot because the electric motor cant spin the motor over fast enough. Makes me wonder about the bike you rode and the last time the battery was charged? If the battery is maintained, it starts immediatly without any hesitation....or at least on my FE.Even at full capacity, I will still kick over a 2t of 4t faster then a battery will turn over. Now I have to pass 40 guys, no way!

g. Maybe its not important but the resale sucks. This I don't know about yet. I think the resale was hindered in the past because knobody knew a whole lot about the bikes. They are becoming much more mainstream today thanks to their new technology and KTM backing. Time will tell I guess.

Im very for Husaberg but unfourtunatly the disadvantages out weight the advantages for me. For play riding with a few races, no doubt they would be up there but because I race, I needed a race bike.

how does one wire up a '10 FX? will it need an aftermarket stator? where should I start?

how does one wire up a '10 FX? will it need an aftermarket stator? where should I start?

I bought a kit from Sicass Racing. Went together very easily and no need for a stator change.

Just find the extra cash and buy the FE. I did and i never think about the extra $500 it cost me over other bikes because it is just so good!:busted:

A couple of points to consider: A new berg will be nothing like your old Kato even though they share parts, A new berg will feel alot lighter than a Kato as of the 70 degree engine etc, the resale in Australia is fantastic - you still pay $10k for a 2 year old berg here!:bonk:

Ive been riding with guys on bergs for over 3 years and not once has one had a battery/starting issue - fuel pumps yes but starting no!:busted:

what's a good battery to have in the berg's?

Note that this bike will be doing some winter riding...Canadian winter / not the Aussie winter. :busted:

what's a good battery to have in the berg's?

Note that this bike will be doing some winter riding...Canadian winter / not the Aussie winter. :busted:

I don't know what brand the stock battery is but I have not had any issues with it at all (knocking on wood right now!)... Anyway, if you have the latest issue of Dirt Rider magazine, there "TOP" product award of the month (or year) was a new battery to replace the stock. Supposedly it has way more life and starting power than the stock units. Not sure what it was but once I get home I will check it out and let you know. Thought about getting myself one as well just to be cautious......with these harsh California winters and all! :busted:

I don't know what brand the stock battery is but I have not had any issues with it at all (knocking on wood right now!)... Anyway, if you have the latest issue of Dirt Rider magazine, there "TOP" product award of the month (or year) was a new battery to replace the stock. Supposedly it has way more life and starting power than the stock units. Not sure what it was but once I get home I will check it out and let you know. Thought about getting myself one as well just to be cautious......with these harsh California winters and all! :busted:

It's the Shorai. I'm thinking about getting one, just because I figure it's getting time to replace mine and I might be moving my bike to a temporary garage that doesn't have power. (a rental) Soooo, it would be nice to not have to trickle the thing constantly.