Thinking of Swapping to a DRZ400E

Hi people,

I have a '99 RM250 2 stroke which i love to bits but am starting to get into the enduro side of things and was considering swapping to the DRZ400E. However i love the power i am getting from my rm which i have slightly modded for more power (Stock is 45 i think).

Am i going to notice a huge drop in power if i switch to its heavier cousing the drz400?

Has anyone else switched from a rm to a drz400 & regretted it?

I know i will miss the 2stoke power but am i going to notice a huge difference?

Also how are they around a mx track if i avoid the jumps (ive heard theyre not the best on them) - can someone clarify?

I have a 2005 RM250 and my cousin had a drz400sm converted to off road. Dude there is no comparison...your going to miss that RM. The drz with off road gearing is actually pretty quick, but its a big heavy bike! it weighs like 80lbs more than the RM if I remember correctly.

you will probably love it for many many reasons, but as far as fun factor for aggressive riding there is ZERO comparison.

It's sort of like comparing apples with oranges...both bikes perform well at what they were designed for...

The RM is a High maintenance Pure Race Machine... In comparison ,lower weight with a strong narrower band of power delivery...

The E is road registrable trail bike...much lower in maintenance , has broader more tractable power and can be used as your everyday commute....

It really depends on what you want to do with your riding... perhaps have both...?

lol i wish i could have both. I'll admit i can see me doing more Mx than enduro's & i love the power of the rm. but i alot of places here in Oz only let you in with a licence and a rego'd bike :/ makes for hard riding.

So even jetting & small front & large rear sprocket combo theyre not that quick?

& on youtube its like they take forever to get into the power & takes forever to reach the limiter. Is this true or cant they ride?

IMO..For "pure off road" a big bore or stroker DRZ is quick, but it's never going to be as fast as an RM ..given that the rider of both bikes has equal talent....

The DRZE is a good compromise bike if you are restricted with riding areas...

I would be interesting to compare a straight line drag race between an RM 2fity and a big bore Drze....I don't think there would be a lot of difference....

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm
spelling error

I think your looking at the wrong bike in a DRZ. I think your more suited to a registered 2 stroke endruo bike like a Ktm 250 Exc or even the 200.

Or otherwise the more race orientated CRF 450 and WRF 450.

The DRZ will loose everytime in a comparison as a race bike the same as the RM will loose in a comparison as a duel sport trail bike.

yeah ~ nah ~ maybe ?

it comes down to power to weight , the RM would be quicker off the mark , just what you need for MX .

for your type of riding ... the RM is the best option

consider the RMZ 450 X if you want to stay with suzuki , i dont think you can rego those

a well set up DRZ will work if you dont mind the weight

Does anyone know what the RMX250's were like (the two stroke ones).

Really want to ride more places but very restricted without a rego'd bike.

Personall opinion, i wouldnt go honda as i have witnessed two bad experiences with the 450 engine, both the R & X models.

Just wish Suzuki Made the RMZ450 regoable lol