Sign in to follow this  

let play are you smarter than JE's engineers

heres the story. as most know i was having piston problems with my mutant build. i called JE up and talked to them about custom pistons and if they can do it. i spoke with them a number of times on the phone to make certain they can do them. i gave them all the info how i morphed 2 motors bottom end from a xr 80 and top end from a klx and what off the shelf pistons i have used with dimensions. i also had throughly explained how i kept running into exhaust piston to valve clearance and that there was not enough meat in the dome to cut that deep of pockets. That every time i cut a piston i would blow through the dome and had to weld the piston. they assured me they could make a piston to what i needed. so i sent off to them a puck (for those that don't know what that is its a mold of the cylinder and combustion chamber to get relationships for valve centerlines etc..) i also sent a cam doctor readout of cam that would be used, i sent the piston that i cut along with a letter stating what clearances i had with the cut piston and dimensions that would be needed to have appropriate clearances for custom piston. well upon getting custom pistons my ex clearance wasn't enough! now we have been emailing back and forth about the subject. to sum up the emails they went off klx 110 dimensions dont know why cause i told them it was a morphed motor to which i got why would you ever wanna do that. also was told they will not discount or refund these pistons only thing they will do is do another set for me at a fine price of 300 bones and i will have to use rings wrist pin and clips that i already have. which thats another funny story they didnt send all the oil rings for one of the piston sets and price was 120 more than quoted price which they cant explain price difference. last email recieved was snotty and stated they will not tolerate another nasty email from me that they have been professional and are doing their best for me and virtually said i was the one at fault. reason being that cut piston that was sent had a valve notch depth of .050th and they cut custom piston to .157th. well this through the red flag up cause i know i was floating about .155~160ish thousand range on exhaust. so i pulled everything back out and through the calipers on it. low and behold JE's engineers took dimensions from intake side of cut piston thinking it was the exhaust.

below are pics of piston and puck. after the information given if one was have puck and cut piston in their hands would you EVER think the intake side of cut piston was the exhaust? keep in mind i told them about a zillion times i used a off the shelf 2 valve piston. and about 99.99% of the time intake valve will be bigger than the exhaust side correct? so looking at the cut piston you can see factory 2 valve notches one notch is wider than the other side indicating intake. if thats not enough look at second pic the side view of put inline with cut piston. the right side is the exhaust side left side is intake valve angles line up. IF THATS NOT ENOUGH again stated about a billion times about having to weld in the first pic you can see weld markings cause aluminum was so thin. the pic of the bottom of the piston must not of saved but from underside of piston you can see welds cause i didn't pretty them up. so what do you guys think? do you think if i thoughly explained all of the above to you not once but multiple times then handed you a mold of the combustion chamber and a cut pistons that you would EVER mistake the intake side of that cut piston as the exhaust?

035-1.jpg

viewofanlefrompucktocutpiston.jpg?t=1319081976

puckmineje.jpg?t=1319081970

jedepthpiston.jpg?t=1319081965 JE's exhaust depth

mydepthpiston.jpg?t=1319081960 my cut pistons exhaust depth

I'd quit the email game and get someone who runs something there on the phone. They flat out screwed up and it's their job to fix it.

I'd quit the email game and get someone who runs something there on the phone. They flat out screwed up and it's their job to fix it.

Did that and this is what I was told. This is an error on your behalf so we will not refund or discount these Pistons. We are willing to work with you and do 2 more at our deepest discount which would be 265 plus shipping but you will have to use your current hardware from first piston kits. As you can imagion I was hot under the collar! I told them look I sent more info than requested to get these pistons done right I spoke with you guys on the phones numerous times about it you made a retarded assumption and you guys know ur in the wrong or else you wouldn't be offering me anything. So let's cut the bullshit cause im not spending another dime through you guys til you make an honest attempt to make this right. To which I got we will not tolerate your attitude we have been nothing but professional to me. And about that point I lost my temper told them if what I just said hurt their feelings that I suggest hiding their tampon string and signing up for some boot camp classes to toughen up! That the only thing they have been professional about is how to be a pro focking con men. After all said and done nothing. So hard lesson learned Je don't give a fock about the motorcycle guys and I will never be using them again

Wow that's pretty effed up. Don't think i'll be ordering anything from JE anytime soon...