Sign in to follow this  

BP testing all wheel drive bikes

A friend of mine that works for the Border Patrol is currently testing a Christini450 All wheel drive bike. He let me look it over in the back of his truck this evening. Really nice bike, rekluse clutch, few other nice parts. He really likes it, says they put about 90 miles on it today. Says it climbs like a mountain goat!! He likes it because they can go a lot of places their quads can't and it doesn't tear up the trail like a normal bike would. Just thought it was cool.

Jim

http://www.christini.com/index.php

"Christini's patented mechanical All Wheel Drive system delivers power from the motorcycle transmission to the front wheel through a series of chains and shafts. There is no energy-robbing hydraulics involved."

"The lightweight all-mechanical system works similar to that of AWD systems found on four wheeled vehicles. The AWD system (powering the front wheel) is driven at a slightly lower rate than the rear wheel (approximately 80%). Under optimum traction conditions, the rear wheel is actually driving faster than the front AWD system. One-way clutches within the front hub allow the front wheel to freewheel under these conditions. At this point, the AWD system is effectively passive. Though the front AWD system is turning, it is not actually transferring power to the front wheel. When the rear wheel loses traction, the drive ratio, relative to your forward speed, changes. The AWD system engages, transferring power to the front wheel until traction is reestablished at the rear wheel."

"The way the front system works is like pedaling a bicycle down hill. You are pedaling, but because of gravity (acting like the rear drive) the bike is traveling faster than you are delivering power. When you get to the bottom of the hill and slow down (similar to what happens when the rear wheel spins), you will begin to power the bike again."

"An added benefit of AWD is that the front wheel does not want to wash out. When a front end tucks, the wheel stalls, stops turning, and begins to push. With the AWD system, as soon as the wheel begins to stall, power is delivered to the front wheel, forcing it to turn. With the front wheel under power, it is nearly impossible to wash out the front end."

US Military receives CHRISTINI AWD 450 motorcycles

"After evaluating all the other Off Road brands currently made worldwide, the US Military has chosen CHRISTINI AWD to supply the troops with a tactical scout bike to be used in worldwide operations. The testing has been ongoing for over 4 years, and the CHRISTINI has proven to have capabilities unlike any other motorcycle in the world."

"With the AWD system, our bikes can go where no other vehicle or bike can with less effort and fatigue. This capability is necessary for the troops who have to traverse very difficult terrain with significant gear and weight. The addition of an auto clutch makes the bike a hill climbing machine, but has the speed and agility to move quickly when needed."

"The first order is being delivered for training with larger follow on orders in the works."

ChristiniAWD450.jpg

http://www.christini.com/index.php

"Christini's patented mechanical All Wheel Drive system delivers power from the motorcycle transmission to the front wheel through a series of chains and shafts. There is no energy-robbing hydraulics involved."

So chains, shafts and gears to not consume power???? They claim a power loss of only 1/10Hp. They have at least two sets of becel hears, that each is probably actually loosing about 5% of engine power when under load. I bet the 1/10hp is what it takes to simply run the chans and gears, what what the power loss is. In hydraulic motors, there is very little power loss when not under load too.

Ugh, I'd hate to maintain it. The Ohlins hydraulic system is very simple.

Power loss is not a concern when you are riding the impossible on a 450. Your speed is so slow that the loss is not noticable.

The one plus I can surmises for the Christini setup is that I imagine final drive gearing changes would be cheaper (but still stupid expensive) to do.

This system AFAIK, has been around for many years, just like the Ohlins.

Where do they get their 450 engines from? Their website says the 300 is a Gas Gas, but doesn't say what the 450 is. Rotax?

I think KTM's idea of the electric motor built into the hub of the front wheel sounds like an ultimately more viable option. You can utilize regenerative braking to help charge the batteries and the total system will have fewer moving parts and less maintenance. I'm all on board for this once they get the kinks worked out.

Steve

I think KTM's idea of the electric motor built into the hub of the front wheel sounds like an ultimately more viable option. You can utilize regenerative braking to help charge the batteries and the total system will have fewer moving parts and less maintenance. I'm all on board for this once they get the kinks worked out.

Steve

This is a good idea assuming it is a modern alternator and not simple stator. A stator generates full power all the time where as an alternator has a variable output and accordingly, a variable draw of engine power used to run it.

The only downsides I see are the heat from the hub motor and the weight. To get an idea of it, take a look at some electric bicycles, they use hub motors.

Where do they get their 450 engines from? Their website says the 300 is a Gas Gas, but doesn't say what the 450 is. Rotax?

I heard Chinese Honda, the pricing above seems to back that up.....

I've got one on order, can't wait to get it.

I'm sure most people thought that AWD cars were ridiculous as well, right?

Edited by Boonhauler
typo

Geoff Aaron is doing pretty good on one for Honda on the Endurocross series.

2011 Schedule More > July 31Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA (X Games)

Aug 13Comcast Arena, Everett, WA

Aug 26Pepsi Coliseum, Indianapolis, IN (Friday)

Sept 17Citizens Business Bank Arena, Ontario, CA

Oct 1National Western Complex, Denver, CO

Oct 22Idaho Center, Boise, ID

Nov 19Orleans Arena, Las Vegas, NV

Home News Features Media Photos Videos Race Info Results Rules & Info Purse Payout Contingency Mobile Event Info Lodging Info Show Schedule Buy Tickets Seating Chart Track Map Entry Forms

2011 Results

Round 5 - Denver, CO

October 1, 2011

For in-depth results click here >> AMA Geico Powersports Endurocross Championship - Round 5 (Denver, CO)

EX Pro Points Standings

Pos. # Name Points

1 111 Taddy Blazusiak 150

2 311 Mike Brown 102

3 2 Geoff Aaron 97

4 247 Cody Webb 91

20 minutes untill showtime = Go Cody Webb! :thumbsup:

Been trail riding with 2 christini's a 250x and a ktm300, both owners said they had been reliable though christini had sent out some upgrade parts. The big thing when riding them is they WILL go where the front wheel is pointed when you give it gas, same as any other bike while coasting or slowing. It's not a awd car. If you ever ridin a bike with studs you notice the front ends sticks without getting forward on the seat into a corner. The fwd drive is sort of the same if you keep power on it rails right around.

They must be getting a good deal on the GasGas's. That's not much more than without the setup. Interesting they have kits for KTM and Honda but not for the GasGas.

As I have stated before, these bikes are a pretty good deal. Iv'e spoken to Steve Christini and he's commited to building a good bike at an entry level price!