Sign in to follow this  

Gas Gas txt trials bike HELP!!!

In my garage is a friends gas gas txt 250 trials bike, I'm not sure of the year but when he bought it he was told it was a 2000, problem is he bought it without seeing it run and was told it needed a surpressor cap to fire it up and believed it. He was also told it had a new coil put on, which by the wiring and newness of iit I'd believe him aswell, however, after putting the surpressor cap on, it wouldn't start, stripped down the carb and cleaned it, still wouldn't start, there is a spark but when u kick it you can't smell fuel getting through, obviously carberation? However stripping the bike down I found that the wires leading to the fan were broke and disconnected, could the bike of over heated? I'm not that clever around bikes but understand sort of how they work,n would anyone be able to help me out on this? Thanks.

In my garage is a friends gas gas txt 250 trials bike, I'm not sure of the year but when he bought it he was told it was a 2000, problem is he bought it without seeing it run and was told it needed a surpressor cap to fire it up and believed it. He was also told it had a new coil put on, which by the wiring and newness of iit I'd believe him aswell, however, after putting the surpressor cap on, it wouldn't start, stripped down the carb and cleaned it, still wouldn't start, there is a spark but when u kick it you can't smell fuel getting through, obviously carberation? However stripping the bike down I found that the wires leading to the fan were broke and disconnected, could the bike of over heated? I'm not that clever around bikes but understand sort of how they work,n would anyone be able to help me out on this? Thanks.
Several things I would do are:

- start with fresh gas and plug

- check for spark (you said you did that already, but if no spark I'd test the coil, wire, and magneto)

- inspect the plug after trying to start (is it wet and fouled with gas or totally dry? smell gas in the plug hole?)

- make sure the carb is indeed clean and jetted properly, and float height is set properly (all jets and orifices clear, especially the pilot circuit)

- check for air leaks around the intake (nothing dry-rotted, cracked, etc.)

- do a compression test

- fix the fan

Good luck

Remove the pilot jet and hold it up to a light. I should have a nice round hole. If you can not see trough it, it needs to be soaked in carb cleaner over night and blow it out with compressed air.

Cheers gents, I'll try that.

all good advice.

also worth trying a scribble with a pencil on the top of the sparkplug - the graphite really improves the connection,

and try push / bump -starting the bike..,

you'll get increased rev's which will mean you are NOT reliant on the idle circuit of the carb the same,

if it fires doing this then you know you are not Wasting your time,

good luck , and ket us know what you find,

Charlie