Sign in to follow this  

ACL Surgery

Getting my Acl replaced in 4 weeks still not sure which graft i'm getting,

But just wondering how the recovery will be

how long before i can be mobile (not just lying in bed)

Walk (with or without cructh assistance)

Driving (how long till i could operate a manual car)

Then how long till running, riding and back to normal sports (provided i put in alot of work)

just want to see how other people did with recovery.

There are lots of posts regarding ACL reconstructions... and of course Dr. Mark will give his input. You'll want to shop around to get the surgeon you are comfortable with, etc. And be sure to do the patellar ligament graft... I had a work colleauge select the allograft, and she is having lots of recovery problems.

If you do same side PL, expect 5-6 months. I'm at just under 6 months now and have hit the hit the track since 5 months, though carefully. Check my earlier posts for my detailed recovery info, rehab, etc.

The process wont be easy or fun, but you gotta just do it.

ACL rehab depends alot on the type of graft, the skill of the surgeon, and your own fitness and conditioning.

I got the best surgical technique (opposite side patellar graft) from one of the best and most experienced surgeons (dr sanders), and I'm in very good shape for a 50 yr old. I was bicycling 3-4 days a week to keep up my muscle tone between getting injured and having surgery.

So, all those things add up to my recovery being faster than normal. Dr Sanders had me on my feet and walking around in the recovery room a few hours after surgery. I never needed a crutch or cane or anything to walk. I spent a couple days mostly laying in bed with ice on my knees and doing flexibility exercises. a few days after surgery I was riding an exercise bike for an hour at a time, then flew home and went back to work 1 week after surgery. I drove my manual tranny car on the way home from the airport 5 days after surgery, and continued to drive it to work from that point.

I was back on my bicycle that weekend (just riding easy 2-tracks and dirt roads with the dog). You might want to be careful with a real bicycle if you're not a bicycle guy. I've raced bicycles all my life, and haven't fallen off one in a decade or more, so I felt pretty comfortable riding even in the dirt.

I was riding my motorcycle (just trailriding, but on typical idaho backcountry technical trails) after 5-6 weeks. I was pretty careful at first, but after a couple weeks the confidence came back.

Right now it's been 3 1/2 months, and I'm pretty much fully active. There's a little bit of swelling where the bone plugs were inserted so the bone is healing there, but no significant discomfort, no real surprise. I don't much care for running, but I can jog a little if i want (i've done it with the dog). I can pedal as much as I want, and i've been on some hard mtb rides with the dog, and also some long hikes in rough and uneven ground (off-trail).

People who go to other surgeons for other techniques often spend 6 months or more before they get anywhere near where I am now. I realize you probably don't have a whole lot of choice in that.

The best thing I can reccomend is do lots of research yourself. There is a ton of information on the web. I had a hamstring graft that worked excellent. My acl is as tight as ever. My Doctor was a little different in that I put no weight on it for a at least a month and very minor flexibility exercises. My knee healed so well that I did not need to go to physical therapy. Just as the previous poster stated, the bicycle will be come your new friend for execise. Check out all the pro's and con's for this surgery ie; acl hamstring vs patellar vs allograft.

Good Luck!

there is a lot of info and testimonials you will read about on this forum...there is a lot of information out there, i will advise this....all surgeons are not the same, they specialize in their techniques...so decide on your techniques and then find the surgeon that specializes in that procedure, you also have to weigh the long term advantages / disadvantages of each type of procedure, they all have unintended consequences...

lastly, prepare your body for the surgery by doing pre-surgery workouts...if you know all of this before your surgery the outcome will not be a surprise to you...