Sign in to follow this  

Tips for selling a bike

I am going to be selling my 2011 CRF450, mostly because I never got along with the bike that well. I'm big, it's small and the ergos were just off for me.

Anyway, a guy wants to come see it this weekend, but the shrouds/graphics (knee braces destroy these) and other little cosmetic stuff hasn't shown up yet. Should I still show it, or wait until the parts get here?

Also, any other general tips on selling a bike? Thanks!

If the bike is spotless other than scratched up plastics, tell the guy you have already bought the new plastics and they are included for free.

A savy buyer will see past that and look for proper fasteneres, straight radiators, signs of proper maintanence.

Have records showing the bike has been taken care of. Know the true average used value of your bike.

Do not let anyone let ride untill you have CASH in your hand. You can fire up the bike and gently show (do not show off) how well the bike runs. The buyer does not need a 'free ride'.

I would show it & just tell him it comes with new stuff. If he knows what he's looking at, whatever is scratched means nothing unless the bike has a lot of other crash damage.

Consider this… How many CRF450’s are for sale in your area? Why would someone buy yours over the others? IMO clean the bike as best you can. lube it, adjust everything and fix whatever is broken / funky on it. You want to convey to the prospective buyer that an idiot didn’t own it.

Consider this… How many CRF450’s are for sale in your area? Why would someone buy yours over the others? IMO clean the bike as best you can. lube it, adjust everything and fix whatever is broken / funky on it. You want to convey to the prospective buyer that an idiot didn’t own it.

Oh man I'm screwed. :thumbsup:

No I understand what you're saying. The bike is in excellent mechanical condition and needs nothing to be ready to go out to the track. If the guy doesn't buy it this weekend, I will probably take it out riding Sunday! But my knee braces really destroy shrouds (ie, wear through to the radiators). What I did was make sure I have a printout of the order for the replacement parts, so I can show the buyer when he comes by.

clean it spotless! showroom clean! get in there with a tooth brush!

Half the bikes I looked at were pretty much just hosed off...really shows how the bike was taken care of! Some scratches are not too worry about, especially if you have parts coming.

Wear and tear like plastics is all part of the game with motocross, people know what to expect when their buying a used bike. as long as the bike is in good mechanical condition for its year etc then the last thing on my mind would be plastics if i went to buy a used bike.

I expect a used bike to need a couple small things but as soon as I see anything thats hacked up I instantly know that you dont take care of your stuff.

A spotless bike impresses the buyer right off the bat. Nothing worse than going to look at a bike that looks like it just came out of the mud.

I view plastics like a paint job on a car. When I see brand new shiny plastics or a fresh paint job, I want to know WHY? What are you hiding?

Explain to the potential buyer that it includes new plastic, but unlike all the other guys selling a nice shiny new APPEARING bike, you're being honest and showing him the old stuff. Hopefully I'm explaining it right, but I can be more blunt...

If a buyer sees new plastic and decals, he may be getting snowed about how the bike was maintained. I think so. I can go buy a junker and clean it up with a wash, some lube and $200 in plastic and stickers.

Sell it as an honest guy, full disclosure. Show the knee braces and he'll see why it's scratched up. If he doesn't buy, it's probably because he wants a shiny toy and doesn't really know what he's looking at.

yes clean it!!! tell him that the new shrouds are coming in, i hate looking at ads where the bike looks like it was in the bottom of a pit... or when the dont wheel it out of the shed to take a good picture, or when its the wrong year or model, or when it has all black plastics and a brand new bike!... sorry had to vent...

The buyer does not need a 'free ride'.

I would never buy a used bike without riding it first. That's the best way to find if the owner is hiding anything.