Sign in to follow this  

Drz400sm ignition problem wont start

I had my 05' stator get destroyed from the starter clutch bolt problem. i then replaced stator changed oil started bike ,had it running for 10 minutes , hoped on it rode 100 ft and then she died. It hasant begun to start since. Ive checked the plug first and it was fine ,replaced the cheap stator with a ricky" brand aswell as R/R and the cdi . the bike only puts out one big back fire and does not start. Im not inclined to testing electronics but have usually done alright with process of elimination in the past. This problem is just adding up the $$$$$ and im wondering if anyone has seen this issue before?

Verify that the green wire from the larger CDI plug is grounded. This is the ignition interlock system that interfaces with the sidestand and neutral to kill sparks if the motor is running and put into gear with the sidestand down.

If no problem there, then take a look at your previous repair. A wire out of place next to the flywheel that got rubbed thru in the first 10 min.

Verify that the green wire from the larger CDI plug is grounded. This is the ignition interlock system that interfaces with the sidestand and neutral to kill sparks if the motor is running and put into gear with the sidestand down.

If no problem there, then take a look at your previous repair. A wire out of place next to the flywheel that got rubbed thru in the first 10 min.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13217&d=1269702243

Noble speaks the truth.. this picture shows how the wires to the stator are often not placed under the metal bracket. When installed this way, the flywheel rubs though them in soft order, say, 10 miles or so.. and you get a no run condition.