Sign in to follow this  

cant shift up while standing

i wa just wondering, and i assume that most of you can stand up and shift right? it is possible?

for whatever reason, anatomically my body was not made to stand up on a motocross bike and shift.

Im a decent rider, but i know it is really hurting me because i always have to sit down to shift, in some instances when sitting maybe isnt the ideal position i want to be in

Anyone else have this problem, or any tips?

thanks, justin

have you tried using the side of your boot? works for me!

• Like 1

Maybe they sell a shift linkage that allows you to "gp" style your shifting? Where you push down to gear up, and push up to gear down.

I've never looked into it for dirtbikes, but it is readily available on street bikes.

the inside of your boot? i guess i havent , i will try tho
Yes the inside of your boot. I just let off the gas, no clutch, and press side of boot to shifter and lift boot. :thumbsup:

I have this problem as well when trying to shift up. Shifting down is easy, bit I quite haven't gotten the knack for going up a gear. Only thing really is that I need to practice getting this down as well.

• Like 1

Is your shift lever set correctly? I used to see this a lot with new riders. They would set the shift lever for sitting and then would have problems getting there boot under the shift lever to up-shift.

I try to set mine so that it works as well as possible when sitting and standing which means that there is some comprise for both sitting and standing.

:thumbsup:

I used to have the same problem. All i did was raised the shifter so it was easier to get my boot under and instead of just lifting my boot i lean my whole body back and just pull my whole leg. Might look weird but works good for me.

• Like 1

i wa just wondering, and i assume that most of you can stand up and shift right? it is possible?

for whatever reason, anatomically my body was not made to stand up on a motocross bike and shift.

Im a decent rider, but i know it is really hurting me because i always have to sit down to shift, in some instances when sitting maybe isnt the ideal position i want to be in

Anyone else have this problem, or any tips?

Move your shift lever one spline so that it rides higher.

JayC

• Like 1

JayC

Usually the shifter is too high when people are having trouble shifting while standing. When you are standing one is usually farther forward on the motorcycle, thus making one pivot their foot farther to engage the shifter. I guess the question is, are you having trouble getting your foot under the shifter or are you having trouble lifting the shifter high enough to get it to shift up? A good way to tell is put a straight edge laid on top of the foot peg to on top of the shifter pad. The straight edge should be level to inclined just a few degrees, but everybody is a little different, this is just a basic starting point.

I recommend putting the bike on a solid stand and have a knowledgeable rider watch you shift while sitting as compared to standing to hopefully find the problem. You could even practice this in the garage without the bike running until you find your sweet spot for the shifter. In my experience when I change boot brands I usually need to change my shifter position. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Use the edge of your boot to shift up, dont put your foot under it. If you have large feet, like 12 or bigger, get a bigger shifter from hammer head, actually find another company those guys are A-holes

I've been told that I'm a''stand up'' rider. I'm comfortable shifting and braking while standing, even in technical sections. It took me awhile to figure out where to put my shifter but I eventually ended up with (bike on a level surface) the shift lever 1-2 splines above the foot peg. With my boot flat on the peg the tip of my toe can slide just under the shifter. I will point my toe down, slide a little forward, lift up to shift then slide my boot back slightly to avoid a miss shift. To down shift I lift my foot, place my toe over the shifter, tap down, then back on to the peg.

I run my brake lever very low, so I have to intentionally point my toe to reach it.

I don't have any problem shifting while seated.

Move yours up and down on the spline and figure what works for you...

• Like 1

I remember asking about this years ago when I first got serious about mx. I started with the shifter up a couple splines but really when you are attacking as someone stated earlier yourtoes are down slightly so the shifter shouldn't be too far up.

You really have to just practice it a lot and it WILL come. You will get to the point where you need your shifter below the footpeg to get a more solid shift. When you shift standing you litteraly make a circle with your toe and catch the shifter. Watch other riders and see how they litteraly grab it with their toe by reaching under.

It becomes one solid quick movement just like down shifting. Practice!

Well i have tried using the side of my foot, and i am not totally comfortable with it yet, but that peice of advice helped a lot i think. next time i go out im going to fiddle around with the height of the shifter

Standing and standing in the attack position can be different. With your butt back and arched back it should be easier to shift, standing straight up or straight back is what prevents you from shifting as easy.

if all this doesnt help try buying new boots. i could shift down or brake in my 661 comp boots but then i bought tech6 and there way better. i now have tech3 threes which are good aswell. my lap times improved heaps

JayC

That's what I would try first. It might throw you off a bit when trying to shift sitting down. But if your riding on the balls of your feet accidental down shifts shouldn't be a problem.