Sign in to follow this  

Maico 400 possibly for sale.

Not to sure what is happening with it yet but a friend of mine bought a maico 400 with a whole in the bottom of the engine off the conrod snapping he has all the bits and has been told it can be repaired if he is prepared to put the money into it but he isn't 100 per cent on pouring money into it and his only other option is to sell it how it is how much do you lot think it would be worth as a rolling chasis with and without the bits of metal which used to be the engine? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I think we worked it out as around late 70's early 80's, I know a lot of maicos look alike and this probably won't help but it has gold wheels, red frame and I'm sure its a monoshock I'm not 100% though.

If it is a mono shock it is a 490 I think. (I only saw 490's after the intro of the 81, when I was racing in germany) In that shape I am not sure. I know the twin shocks go for stupid money in good shape.

If it is a mono shock it is a 490 I think. (I only saw 490's after the intro of the 81, when I was racing in germany) In that shape I am not sure. I know the twin shocks go for stupid money in good shape.

The lad who's it is rang maico only and gave the frame number and he said it was a 400, also the frame number goes something like mc400..... And whatever else the numbers are, could be a coinsidence but I know I owned 2 kx 125s which had kx 125 as the first 5 numbers. I'm not sure if he will be selling the bike as full, do you think hed get much off the rolling chasis? I'd personally say the engine is a right off, nothing salvageable in my opinion. Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

Man that was one wicked fast bike in it's day,hell today it's fast. I remember it feeling short, great for corner handling, but keeping the front wheel on the ground was something you had to be aware of.

With the bottom end blown out of the cases, it's probably worth $500 around here.

if it is a 1980 it was originally a twin shock. I had an 81 490and it was also a twin shock.

The 1980 "Banana" frame Maico's were an acquired taste, you either loved them or hated them. I've got a couple friends who have the 1980 440's and they go around a corner better than anything I've ever ridden, including my 74.5 and 81 490 Maico's. The thing I don't like about them is you feel like your sitting in a hole, moving back and forth on the seat is difficult. They do lift the front end very easily when exiting a corner. When I put an aluminum arm on my 81 I sold my stock swing arm to one of my friends with the 80. The 81 arm is a couple inches longer and makes all the difference in the 80's handling, now the bike drives out of the corners instead of lofting the front wheel. Power on both the 400 and 440 was smooth and tourqey, very easy powerband to go decievingly fast on.

Prices??? Unfortunately the 80 models don't bring the big bucks that the 81's garner. With blown out cases you're probably looking at $500 to $800. The problem with parting it out is that the front forks won't really fit any other years due to the longer sliders that were designed to work with the 80 frame. The 81 to 84 forks were all the same save for different damper rod ports. Ebay id full of used wheel sets and nobody wants the swingarm due to it's length. If I were your friend I'd keep an eye on ebay for a used set of 78 to 81 "magnum" series cases and a used 400, 440 or 490 crank and rebuild it. Shopping around for parts you could probably get it done for ~$900.

Cheers everyone, I hope he rebuilds it and sorts it out, I'd love a blast on a old maico just to compare it to the new bikes and see which is more fun and fast to ride, my 450 or his 400.