Sign in to follow this  

Turntech Battery mounted in airbox?

Hey All, Just recieved my Turntech 2-5 model in the new case. Have read all ExploringWa post with the shrink model. Was wondering if anyone has mounted the cased model in the airbox? Really like the open look without battery box and think it will help mounting works shock. Thanks wpb230f

I tried mounting that battery, with the newer case, into my 07 150F airbox (230s use the same airbox), but it just wouldn't fit... by just a smidgen. :thumbsup: I gave up and remounted everything back into the battery box.

You can request a battery from TurnTech shrink wrapped instead of with that new case. If you're successful mounting the cased battery in the airbox, please post some pics to show what you did to make it fit. :ride:

Hey Kkim, When I talked to Turntech I told them what I wanted to do, and I got the cased version. Really like the look without the battery box. Posted if any was able to mount new battery in airbox and got no replies. So guess im gonna have to mount battery box back in. Let me know if you find anything and Ill do likewise wpb230f

wpb230f, I just ordered a Shorai 9a/h for my 230 (almost the same size as turntech) I am going to mount it differently than stock since I am also switching from a Works shock to a revalved/resprung CR80 shock and need room for the reservoir. It will be a couple weeks but I'll post whatever I come up with. Jeff

I have mounted the new turntech battery in the airbox on my 230. I made a mount out of moldable plastic sheet and mounted it with velcro. It was a tight fit but worked out well. I will post some pictures over the weekend.

Thanks motoman and duc duc, Really looking forward to feedback and pics. This site is awesome that you guys share your knowledge! wpb230f

Wow, weighs just over a pound, that is something else, if they last a while, i think its definately worth the price, considering a stock one is like 60 bucks.

Hey Duc Duc Just wanted to remind ya about pics for turntech. Anxiously awaiting getting bike back together. Thanks!!

Well here is how I relocated my battery. I realize this is not for everyone because I use my 230 only for MX and we don't see a lot of deep water crossings. First I opened up the top of the airbox and made a cradle to support the battery 3/4 of an inch down into the box. Then I cut the battery box off just below the mounting tab. This allows me to keep the starter relay right where it was. I bolted it to the airbox with a 1/4 inch bolt and a couple flat washers. It flexs enough to come in and out of the frame. Then I drilled 19 1/2 inch holes in the left side of the airbox (farthest from the filter) They also go through the side panel. I also relocated the negative battery cable from the starter bolt to the cross brace under the seat. When I install the seat it touchs the top of the battery holding it firmly in place. Sorry these shots are out of the bike but my shock is at the suspension shop and I took this in and out enough doing the mod. I'll get more pics when it is all together. Jeff

HPIM0646.jpgHPIM0647.jpgHPIM0650.jpg

Motoman, Is there any reason you chose the Shorai over the Turntech?

Yes, Because for almost the same size and only 5 oz. heavier I got a 9 a/hr battery instead of a 2.5 a/hr. Jeff

Thanks for the pics Motoman. Never thought on top.Of course I would need to put holes in airbox and would like to remove the complete airbox. I went ahead and mounted Turntech in batt box moved to other bike projects. Another week I'll be done (well you know how that goes). Thanks for all the answers to the questions ive posted.

Sookerider, If you had read this thread you would know that Turntech's cased battery is bigger than the wrapped model. It will not fit where he mounted his. Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Duc Duc said he mounted case model in airbox but never sent any pics.