Sign in to follow this  

79 xl500s mods

hello

what are the best mods to do on the 79 xl500s to make it more of an off road bike?

engine, exhaust , carb , atc....

Well any bike that old will benefit from a freshened suspension, some companies sell replacement/custom shocks for older bikes. Why does everyone want to hop up their bikes anyways? If you want more power get a modern bike. I would focus on a nice skidplate if they are availible on ebay, footpegs, bark busters, and gearing. The skidplate and footpegs may be something you will have to make yourself. I wouldn't really focus on making the engine more powerful. Maybe get a different silencer but that's probably as far as I would go if the bike runs well. There are probably other things that a bike of that age needs more than a more powerful engine.

Edited by 79yamdt

i have a modern bike but i like this one as wall , i put the flyweel from an xr500 wich is lighter , the xr500 36 carb , opened the air box top , new rear PS shocks , xr500 rear fender + xr650l rear tailight , front xr500 headlight + xr500 speedometer and the front 21'' weel from 1982 xr500r ( not yet mounted ).

i think this is it.

I am old and while doing a few minor things, jetting, exhaust is ok, I prefer to leave things fairly stock. I like the reliebility of a stock bike. while maybe not the fastest or the lightest on it's feet, the engineers spend alot of time making what they build the most reliable they can for the market price point.

the1979-81 xr500 has the same engine as the xl500 and it is reliable no less ,so if you use the xr500 parts on the xl500 engine you will not do any harm to the engine or the reliablety.

Yea thats great, I just meant all the aftermarket crap that gets done to molest a perfectly good bike.

Have fun with it,get it dirty

there will be no aftermarket crap in this bike , only honda OEM parts.

When why did ask the below in frist place.

what are the best mods to do on the 79 xl500s to make it more of an off road bike?

engine, exhaust , carb , atc....

Wiseco Piston

Web Cam or Megacycle Cam

As for Exhaust Muffler you need mod one to work being no buddy re-produceding small stock of aftermarket parts you may find some old/new stock on ebay.

As for Carb your option is jetting it better fine tune it

Fresh Rebuild Front Suspension

As 79yamdt point out replacement out Rear Shocks with custom ones are only option

79yamdt

If you want more power get a modern bike

I disagee bike from 70s had more power then one's after 75 with same cc

this is nice but i only use the honda xr500 parts on the xl500.

my swap is almost done only the front fork will be replace i hope next week.

I you have time and money you could go as far as this... :busted:

IMG_20111030_205203.jpg

I'm going to build one of those more pics and info please.:busted:

I like to modify my bike. I have an '82 XL500R because it is what I could afford, not because it is what I went looking for. For $500 I can afford to get what I get and make it more into what I want. Mine has CR250 USD forks on it so I have disc brakes, a longer shock to level up the ride, a cut down CR250 seat and pan on it for lower seat height and a Leo Vince pipe from a CR450. It is a lot more what I want than the stocker. Modify on. Troy341

This is what I did with my vintage:

-Up-side down fork and disc brake

-Smaller front rim

-New exhaust

-Lights

- 6 volt to 12v

-New mud guards

-Engine -standard