Sign in to follow this  

Buying a DRZ?

Looking into buying a DRZ possibly and was hoping for some specific background info. I have read quite a few posts and it appears to be a pretty durable yet dated design (no offense). Looking for a good dual sport, mostly just for short commute.

What is considered high mileage; a lot of these are for sale 11-14K on the clock. I am considering an 2003 with 5600 miles; cam tensioner was not changed but the bike was supposedly serviced at local dealer recently basically just an oil change and an inspection.

Anything to look out for?

Being that this model has been around for quite a while any major advantages aside from resale for a newer year 2006 and newer?

Here is a short video from the seller; tell me what you think, not sure you can tell much. I am sure it was already warmed up...

http://youtu.be/6aORXaFaAXg

Thanks, SS.

I payed 2300 from a dealer for my second blue drz with 5600 miles 2003 to put into perspective...fmf full stock otherwise might have a gel.seat too

how much are they asking?

i have 20k miles on my 07 and id still consider it fairly new.. 10-12k miles would be considered high if the bike was not taken care of and oil changed regularly.

He had it a $3100, told him he was $500 over retail and I wouldn't pay retail, he came down to $2400. He has chain and sprockets unistalled but wanted to hold on to them? I am thinking 21-$2200 with the sprockets and chain.

It also has knobbies and will need a new set of 606s; does my price range sound reasonable?

Not sure what the deal is here but my state seems to have inflated prices; is it common for DRZ prices to be retail from private parties?

OR is one of the states I think prices will be at or near the top.. You can ride year round, still have thousands of AC of public land to ride on free or near free, tons of back country or city roads you can ride a DRZ on, and most cities and towns can be linked with less then all out highway riding.. .. Having ridden a DRZ S from Corvallis OR, to Fort Lewis WA 10 or so times one summer... I will say, some place, ya just have to rid the freeways to get here to there.

Like I said I got mine for 23 in ny get it for 2550 or under out the door and you got a good deal imo

He had it a $3100, told him he was $500 over retail and I wouldn't pay retail, he came down to $2400. He has chain and sprockets unistalled but wanted to hold on to them? I am thinking 21-$2200 with the sprockets and chain.

It also has knobbies and will need a new set of 606s; does my price range sound reasonable?

Not sure what the deal is here but my state seems to have inflated prices; is it common for DRZ prices to be retail from private parties?

If you can get it for 2,400 or less I'd say you have a good deal. This is for te one in the video right? Looks to have a kick start!!

If you can get it for 2,400 or less I'd say you have a good deal. This is for te one in the video right? Looks to have a kick start!!

Exactly...plus taxes and applicable fees :thumbsup:

Exactly...plus taxes and applicable fees :thumbsup:

anytime i sell something that has a title i put down the sale price as $1.00 or .01

Any notable model changes after 2003; what I can tell is suspension was changed in 03...

no sales tax here,

Thanks for the replies, SS.

Any notable model changes after 2003; what I can tell is suspension was changed in 03...

no sales tax here,

Thanks for the replies, SS.

On the S, from 2003 and later nothing but BNG…..Bold new graphics….