Sign in to follow this  

ATF in the gearbox?

Should I just get a good ATF to put in the gearbox side? I don't like using the same 10-40 in both sides. There must be something ideal? Is there Something better that the regular honda trans oil??

Should I just get a good ATF to put in the gearbox side? I don't like using the same 10-40 in both sides. There must be something ideal? Is there Something better that the regular honda trans oil??

Oh good, an Oil thread

NO NO NO!

ATF is not meant for gears, it's meant for Bands and CV clutches.

You need an oil with HIGH SHEAR STRENGTH for a transmission like the X (very close tolerances). It should be a minimum of GL-4 rated for shear strength abilities.

API GL-4. Oils for various conditions - light to heavy. They contain up to 4.0% effective antiscuffing additives. Designed for bevel and hypoid gears which have small displacement of axes, the gearboxes of trucks, and axle units. Recommended for non-synchronized gearboxes of US trucks, tractors and buses and for main and other gears of all vehicles. These oils are basic for synchronized gearboxes, especially in Europe.

API GL-5. Oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective antiscuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except gearboxes). Oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes only. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.

You want Gear Oil.

- Honda HP Trans oil 80w/85w

- Golden Spectro

- Doesn't really matter what brand

You can use any oil if you want.....

• Like 1

AMSOIL ATF in trans works great. There are gears in auto trans too. I started using it to help cold below freezing starts. Bike starts and shifts so well I use it yearround now.

yep ATF works perfectly fine in gear boxes...... in my AFC500 right now.... but then i also use ROTELLA in my zrx1100.... :thumbsup:

I don't understand why you say you don't like using 10-40. What don't you like about it?

Does this sound right? forgive me because I am brand new to dirtbikes, this is my first one. I used Rotella for my first change and the bike seems louder, almost like it doesn't have any oil. Then I used the stock honda trans oil and it seems quieter now. Is this just because of break in? Just not sure I want to put in rotella again??? Just read in a motocross mag to use a good ATF fluid as a must do for crf450 owners. I guess I will just stick with a the stock honda stuff.

The honda oil in the red bottle is a little heavier oil... could be it does quiet it down. The 450 motors are a little noisey though. Currently have rotella in the tranny, I have used trans fluid before with no problems, I just think its easier to buy one jug and fill up both sides with it.

"you want extreme pressure films of ferrous phosphates and ferrous sulfates to form on highly loaded gear teeth such as hypoid configurations.

Planetary and sun gears need only AW additives to reduce wear at the lighter loaded tooth interface."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729255#Post729255

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729289#Post729289

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729268#Post729268

ATF is also loaded with detergents, and composition varies by type. Just because someone tells you they run XYZ oil and it works fine, why experiment and risk it? The manufacturer, who designed and tested that transmission has told you to run a specific oil, and nothing else. If I told you I run extra virgin olive oil in my tranny and it has never shifted smoother, would you do it to? What do you stand to gain? Your using less than a quart, and the cheap brands of the correct oil are less than $7 a quart. I just bought two cases of ATF (for my pickup) and they were $5.69/ quart. I have never understood why people will destroy a $900 tranny to save $1 by using the wrong oil.

Hmmm I use BelRay gearsaver,it smells like and looks like atf,use to use f type atf in my H1 drag bike,a lot of people did back in the DAY

So engines have piston's and a crankshaft, instead of running unleaded fuel try diesel. Why vary from what the manufacturer says cause you think you'll save a few bucks?

Sweet, I will try that. Diesel is way cheaper up here. That will probably give my bike a badass rumble too, just like my truck. These forums are great.

So engines have piston's and a crankshaft, instead of running unleaded fuel try diesel. Why vary from what the manufacturer says cause you think you'll save a few bucks?

My ATF choice costs more than the engine oil Honda tells me to use. It's not always about cost. My bike starts at cold temp. better with ATF in the trans side.

With that thought,,,,,,,:thumbsup:

ATF is also loaded with detergents, and composition varies by type. Just because someone tells you they run XYZ oil and it works fine, why experiment and risk it? The manufacturer, who designed and tested that transmission has told you to run a specific oil, and nothing else. If I told you I run extra virgin olive oil in my tranny and it has never shifted smoother, would you do it to? What do you stand to gain? Your using less than a quart, and the cheap brands of the correct oil are less than $7 a quart. I just bought two cases of ATF (for my pickup) and they were $5.69/ quart. I have never understood why people will destroy a $900 tranny to save $1 by using the wrong oil.

Makes sense to me! :thumbsup:

Hell yes they do! and if its good enough for 10000 lb vehicles, Then its good enough for a 250lb one. The shear qualities of ATF are awesome!

We had this discussion not too long ago; just because something works in one machine doesn't mean it's good for another unless your talking about the same type of machine.

An automatic transmission is an *entirely* different animal then a bike tranny.

For example, please point to the valve body on a bike tranny.

Futher, if you run a *manual* trans in a car (which is closer to a bike tranny), what does it take? ATF? Certainly not. It takes gear oil.

The manual says 10w-40 oil of certain spec for a reason.

Jim.