Sign in to follow this  

Hinson steel clutch basket

got mine in the mail today, just looking for any input/opinions. i'm doing a top end on my 2004 CR250R for the first time and found that my rod had a little more play than i had hoped for, so i ordered a Wiseco crank assembly, too. the bike already has a fww, op didn't remember what weight. i'm hoping to see a little more chug for southeast Virginia Hare Scramble type riding. i did a search and someone mentioned that the steel basket might be hard on the tranny bearings???

lies and slander. i how ever pitty you for going with a hinson and getting raped with an over the top price.

you should have gone with an MSR alum. basket with metal insrts in the fingers.

I don't want to scare you, and I'm only repeating wht I've read around here, but you might want to surf a bit about the wiseco crank assembly and their reliability. I don't have any experience in the matter, but I've read stuff.

Don't kill the messenger.

JJ

Aren't both the Hinson and MSR baskets both around $275 retail? And the hinson is the one that will add the extra flywheel weigh affect - I've been looking at this for a bit, got a worn clutch basket I'll need to be replacing soon - anyone else have experience with the hinson steel clutch baskets - or any other steel clutch baskets for that matter?

itll adda very small "flywheel" effect. here in canada land, the hinson is ALOT more then the MSR. and in my opinion, the msr is a better bang for your buck as you get the best of both worlds.

I put a Barnett aluminum basket with the ss inserts in my 450, it seems to be holding up well. And I did discuss the reliability issues with some people concerning the Wiseco bottom end. I'll update ya'll on that as I put time on the bike. The bike came with a PC pipe and I installed the Boyeseen Rad Valve, which helped.

The clutch spins at 1/2 to 1/3 the speed of the flywheel, so no added weight benefit or consequence. I have not heard any issues with steel baskets causing bearing problems. I do favor stock cranks, rebuilding stock cranks with stock parts, or the very high dollar options like falcon or crank works. I have not had any good luck with the hot rods or wiseco stuff the last 3 to 4 years.

i re-built my crank with hotrods parts. seems to be holding up perfect. 82 hrs on it already.

but i guess the next full tear-down will show.

i dont understand. why would you put so much inertia on the bike? you have a FWW that "might" loaded your crank up thats why it eventually has play now.

nowyou want a heavier basket? whats next? why kill the 2 stroke snappy powerband that 2strokes are known for?

wow, been awhile since i've posted much on the 'net...i forgot how hard core people get when they're not talking face to face/riding with me in person. like i said in my original post, i use my 2 stroke for tight single track riding, hare scramble racing. (my four stroke 450 i ride woods and mx...prefer it over the smoker for mx). i'm looking for a more KTM 300 type powerband but i like my fleet of Hondas :thumbsup:. if any of you have raced any east coast hs, you know that they're not the place for much 'snap'.

i had heard of some issues with the Wiseco bottoms but from my research that seemed like it has been dealt with, but like i said, i'll let everyone know if i have any issues. i must say, however, that my experience with dirt and street spanning over the past 32 years has been very, very good, form 50's to liter class sport bikes. my bikes have pretty much all been trouble free. so if my choice of parts this time around is catastrophic, i'm due for it.

i would like to one day look into the carb swap. the Rad Valve really cripsed up the low end, riding a gear high carrying momentum-type riding. the bike may have just been due for some fresh reeds but that mod did show me an improvement.

as for the pipe, i forget what model PC pipe it has, but it's the woods pipe not the top end pipe. it came with the spark arrestor type silencer as well and when i went back to the stock one i didn't see a lot of change.

and lastly, i would like to thank not only my local bike shop owner who has always hooked me up with incredible discounts on every purchase. shop local!

• Like 1

Took the motor out Saturday, looked to see what size piston to order, got it running last night.

I have the hinson steel clutch basket in my 07 CR250.I think its great,it improved traction.I can still break the rear wheel loose at will.I have 13 OZ on the flywheel too.The flywheel weight has been in it about 300 hours,and the basket about 100 hours.Same bottom end.I just put a new piston in it and everything was tight on the bottom.I do hare scrambles,so I'm not hard on the engine.

I have the hinson steel clutch basket in my 07 CR250.I think its great,it improved traction.I can still break the rear wheel loose at will.I have 13 OZ on the flywheel too.The flywheel weight has been in it about 300 hours,and the basket about 100 hours.Same bottom end.I just put a new piston in it and everything was tight on the bottom.I do hare scrambles,so I'm not hard on the engine.

Slomojo - I just bought a new Hinson BTL clutch kit with the aluminum basket for my 09 CRF450R.. I could have got the steel basket for $50.00 more, but Hinson say's their aluminum basket has the same durability as the steel basket. The only difference is the 2 LB difference in weight. The steel basket is 2 LBS heavier than the aluminum basket. According the Hinson, they said the durability is the same on both due to some kind of coating on the aluminum basket. 

The $50.00 difference is minimal in comparison, but I was concerned with the extra 2 LBS of weight with the steel basket.

I noticed you said the steel Hinson basket "improved traction"... are you talking about coming out of the gate with respect to getting the rear wheel to hook up and not spin as much.? I would like to know more about the advantages/disadvantages of the steel Hinson basket versus the aluminum Hinson basket. 

I would think all the pro teams prefer the lighter aluminum clutch basket versus the 2 LB heavier steel basket. Cost aside, what's your take now that you have had the steel Hinson basket for a couple of years.? 

Thanks.

JL

• Like 1

Yes, the steel basket helps reduce wheel spin much like a flywheel weight.It's really a 2 stroke thing though..Especially off road where the the terrain is hard pack or packed and slick.I've heard some MX guys put flywheel weights on their 4 strokes for starting gates that are concrete.

I just did my bottom end and I had to file the fingers.I had hoped that they wouldn't ever wear but they did.

Crisp jetting makes a huge difference in usable low end.  So either get the Mikuni sorted, or get a PWK.

If you're riding rocks, you'll want all the flywheel weight effect you can get.  Don't forget replacing the aluminum clutch plates with steels.

If you gear the sprockets down so that first gear is comfortable in the slow stuff, you'll also have have a very limited top speed.  A slipper clutch can let you run slightly higher sprocket gearing.