Sign in to follow this  

04-08 engine in a 03 frame?

Hi guys,

Having a bit of troubles with my current 03 engine and was thinking of updating. and instead of replacing it with a newer motor to keep it a bit more reliable.

i wanted to ask what is the latest model engine i can put into my 03 frame?

Thanks guys!!

Hi guys,

Having a bit of troubles with my current 03 engine and was thinking of updating. and instead of replacing it with a newer motor to keep it a bit more reliable.

i wanted to ask what is the latest model engine i can put into my 03 frame?

Thanks guys!!

03 / 04 /05 will drop in , they leaned the motor forward in 06 and the swingarm bolt location is different in the 06 to 08 cases so they might not fit

The 07 has a wider case on the upper case thru bolt on the front of the engine by 20mm. Going from 03 to 08 is not a problem. All that is needed are 2-10mm spacers. Going from 08 to 03 would require 2 new brackets as the existing ones are welded to the frame.

There isn't much difference in the bottom end from 02-08. In 04 they changed the cylinder to a wider skirt area to better support the slipper piston and did something with the skirt oil squirter location. The counterbalance design changed but I am not sure what year. The crank changed in 07.

The top end changed in 07 and cams have changed throughout the years.

06 is a good motor for building a top end bike. 07/08 is good for bottom end with a different head design and smaller valves.