Sign in to follow this  

airstriker RAVE!!

Just installed a brand new JD airstriker carb on my 2003 cr125. All I can say is it's the best money I have spent in a while! Just about perfect right out of the box. All I had to do was lower the needle and fiddle with the airscrew. Very satisfied.

What differences did you notice with the Air Striker carb? I am thinking of doing the same to my 02. My mikuni is dialed in but I hear you can get rid of soe of the bottem end lag with the air striker. They also say that the throttle is crisper and more responsive, was it true? Did it help with the bottem end lag?

I did notice that it's way snappier off idle and seems way cleaner through the RPM range. Lost a hair on top though. Just have to shift sooner. Worth the money.

You have the 38mm carb then right? Your stock carb is a 38mm if I remember right. I have a stock 36mm so I am wondering if the 38mm carb would be a good choice or try finding a 36mm Keihin so I dont loose any bottom end.

You will lose a bit of bottom end if you are going from an 36 to an 38mm carb. I put a 38mm airstriker on my 94 cr125 that has an eric gorr 144cc bb kit on it. I think it would have worked better if I had it jetted better in the bottom end because it seemed to bog in the low end coming off corners. i had to use the clutch a lot to get it back into the meat of the power. I liked the PWK because of the top end power that it had but ended up putting the 36mm carb back on because I thought I might sell it and didn't want the carb to go with the bike. I have been riding it with the 36mm carb on it and have decided that for my style of riding, the 36mm carb works better.

Long story short, if you want it to have more low end throttle response, then find a 36mm PWK. If you want to add top end power but sacrifice low end throttle response, get the 38mm PWK. I think you will like either carb but you are going to need to decide where you want the power delivery before spending the money.

But sconnel80 you will gain alot of top with the 38mm airstiker. In the november issue of motocrossactionmag there is a company called dicks racing that does a taper bore on the 36mm airstrike so the under 1/4 throttle you will have the same bottom end but will open and flow like a 39 1/4 throttle and up. Def look into it im about to send my carb there for the inteljet whitch is a part of the packege im talking about. dicksracing.com!!

I wanna try and find a 36mm Keihin pwk carb for my 02 CR125. Just need to know what bikes they came on.

Well if anybody has a 36mm keihin pwk carb that they arent using please let me know, I would like to try one and see if my 125 acts any better than it does with the mikuni.

all the KTM 2 strokes use the 36mm now, even the 250sx. They are the PWK 36S AG model though. The top goes on with 2 screws, not a threaded cap. There's also some kind of add'l jet inside near the pilot jet. I stole the one from my 200 and put it on my CR134 and it works great except for a lot of spooge which I haven't jetted out yet. I just bought a 36 from a 2010 250SX to put back on my 08 200. The difference is the 200 came with a 7.0 slide and the 250 has a 6.5.

I have the 36mm from CPW, screw top and I think it's a 7.0 slide too.. So far I love the carb on my 03 CR 250... I almost have the jetting perfect. You will loose a little on top but the Payoff of low and mid is worth it. )

Why would anyone buy a used Mikuni TMX? They go for $50 on ebay. Do these carbs actually work on something other than causing problems for our CR's?

Edited by panicrev

I highly recommend a 36PWK off a KTM 250 vs. the 200. This is the one w/ flat top, 2 allen head screw, AND the desirable 6.5 slide. No TPS. I replaced the KTM NOZE needle w/ a Sudco DDK, clipped on #2 or #1, leaned out the pilot to a 35 or 38, main jet @ 165 or 168. THis is for a 2005 CR250, stock head, stock motor, stock pipe, but w/ sparky, 87 or 92 pump gas. Offroad only. If you want to hear how my motor pull w/ this setup, &/or wondering whether the 36 pwk's giving up any top end pull, then click the link below. I'm on the far right.

http://vimeo.com/31053688