kdx200 project

So ive been out of the dirtbike scene for a couple years, and i really want to get a dirtbike again. Ive been really wanting to buy an '89-'95 kawasaki KDX200, that would be a trail/dunes bike since im not really into track racing anymore. Ive read that the KDX250 can be lacking in the handling dept, and it a bit heavier & taller so thats why i want a 200 instead. Ive owned an '04YZ250F, and a Yamaha Blaster 200 atv.

Would it be possible to buy a KDX200 and do KX/KDX 250 & up, engine swap so i can retain the handling of the 200?? I want to do the swap because the 200 engine on my blaster is somewhat underpowered for the dunes at times so im assuming the KDX200 would be the same. Anyone use these as a dunes bike, are they decent??

Any motor swap is doable, just depends on if it's worth the effort. The kdx 200 motor is based on the kx 125 where as the kdx 250 motor is base on the kx 250. They don't swap all that easy. I own a 1989 kdx 200 set up for single track. I weigh 230 lbs. and the bike will take me anywhere. I haven't had it in the dunes, but I run it in the desert and it hauls ass. The 89-94 models were the snappiest motors, just add vforce 3 reed cage, RB carb mod, an FMF fatty pipe and have fun!?

The 250 would be better suited to dunes/desert riding. The 200 will be working hard, even geared down. Swapping a 250 engine into the 200 would be very difficult, likely requiring a new engine cradle to be fabricated and welded in. For the amount of work you'd put into that, it would be easy enough to find a decent 250 and sort out the suspension. Honestly the stock 200 suspension isn't all that much better than the 250. Very similar, in fact.

yeah ive considered getting a kx250, the reason i wanted the kdx is because it allready has lights, and a tool bag on it versus the kx. We do night riding at the dunes when we go also. If i did the motor swap, i would have my buddy make up some new motor mounts since hes a welder.

I guess maybe at this point it would just be easier to get a kdx200, add some performance upgrades, or just do some suspension work on a kdx250 to make it more customized.

What people are saying on the swap is it is not JUST making new little motor mounts. The 250 engine will NOT fit in a 200 frame. The engine cradle (steel bars) don't have enough room and would have to be replaced.

Power wise, a lightly modded KDX250 will romp a lightly modded KDX200, but it is a few pounds heavier, which negates some of the difference.

yeah ive considered getting a kx250, the reason i wanted the kdx is because it allready has lights, and a tool bag on it versus the kx. We do night riding at the dunes when we go also. If i did the motor swap, i would have my buddy make up some new motor mounts since hes a welder.

I guess maybe at this point it would just be easier to get a kdx200, add some performance upgrades, or just do some suspension work on a kdx250 to make it more customized.

Would it not be easier to put Tool Bag on a KX?

Lights-Battery or E-line, simple really.

What people are saying on the swap is it is not JUST making new little motor mounts. The 250 engine will NOT fit in a 200 frame. The engine cradle (steel bars) don't have enough room and would have to be replaced.

Power wise, a lightly modded KDX250 will romp a lightly modded KDX200, but it is a few pounds heavier, which negates some of the difference.

I see what you mean, its so not worth swapping engine then. Im glad you guys told me this, it saved me the future headache .

I will be getting the kx or kdx250 instead.

Get a KX250 rolling chassis and put the KDX250 engine in it. You'll have the good suspension, ergos and handling of the KX chassis, and the wide-ratio gearbox and lighting capabilities of the KDX250 engine.

And the KDX250 engine, once uncorked and properly tuned, is one of the sweetest engines Kawie ever made. Enough grunt to climb a tree if you could hang on, strong enough midrange to run with an MXer of it's day, and decent enough top-end to stretch its legs nicely when you get out in the open.

That's what I should have done with my KDX250, instead of selling it to that bonehead that ran the engine (with less than ten hours on a complete rebuild) with no oil and locked it up solid. ?