Sign in to follow this  

Considering the 250 as a woods bike

Am looking at selling my KX250f and picking up a basically new '03 YZ250 that has under 3 hours on it for $2500 CAD. I could probably sell mine for 4000 and invest 1500 into it to make it better suited for the woods (doesn't all have to be spent but that's the budget).

Considering I ride the KX now, with no engine modifications or changes to the gearing whatsoever (from stock) do you think the YZ (if made more woods suitable) would be manageable?

I pretty much only ride trails but like going to the track every once in a while and am 6'1 220.

I did the same thing, had a stock 06 KX250F and only rode trails. I sold it after the second rebuild due to cooking it and bought a basically new 04 CR250R. Best move I ever did, just wish I had done it sooner.

I have left my CR250 standard and it rips, I have no need to change anything.

Bike not need much for be great. Suspension revalve be nice but not necessary. Flywheel weight, bark busters, big tank, and good to go. CaveMike ride many other bikes, 450f, 250f, even new ktm 350f. 250 2 stroke still him favorite. Yz very strong.

I have an 03 that I bought new, and exclusively ride trails with it. Starting out, it was a handful. For trail riding, I think that the G2 throttle tamer is money well spent. It eliminated my whiskey throttle incidents. Outside of that, I added a soft seat foam, a gripper seat cover, FMF Q, and suspension revalving. More recently I added some Enduro Engineering debris deflectors, had my slide cut to a #8 and swapped a lot of brass.

Every single time I make a change to this bike to better suit my needs, I like it a little more.

the YZ is great woods bike if you're fast, a good woods bike if you're mid-pack, and just an ok woods bike if you're slow.

I just took mine through a bunch of trails and hill climbs. It chugs up stuff with the best of them, and that was with my jetting way off. I now know why people like these for trails so much! It compares favorably to my WR400F, and the lightweight nature of it helps as well. Plus it's easy to kickstart, so if your'e in an awkward kick starting position it takes half the work!

I just bought an 06, and I love it in the woods. Injected a whole bunch of fun into my riding. G2 throttle cam, FWW, suspension, Guards, I took the rear 18" wheel off my Wr. That is it. It is a sweet woods ride. You will not regret a YZ.

Having previously owned a 250f and 450f, a 2t is 100% better for offroad IMO. The more technical the terrain,, the more it shines.

I agree completely, and will add especially when racing.

The YZ250 makes a great woods bike. Those open bath forks can be made to really shine in the woods. AND....you can do the WR426 tranny swap and have a WR/YZ250 as several have done (and I am in the middle of right now).

Get the suspension and jetting dialed and you'll be riding happy I'd bet.

My 2007 YZ250 is the bike that I have enjoyed riding in the woods the most over the years. I had the suspension re-valved and replaced the springs, re-jetted it and installed a Rekluse EXP 2.0 in it and couldn't be happier. YZ250s are very popular woods bikes for a good reason.

• Like 1

My 2007 YZ250 is the bike that I have enjoyed riding in the woods the most over the years. I had the suspension re-valved and replaced the springs, re-jetted it and installed a Rekluse EXP 2.0 in it and couldn't be happier. YZ250s are very popular woods bikes for a good reason.

:thumbsup:, and add a 300 big bore kit and you are really cooking with gas :ride: