Sign in to follow this  

1983 Yamaha DT80

hey all im new to forums and bikes in general.

I have seen a 1983 Yamaha DT80 bike for sale, as a fixer upper bike but still runs and was thinking about buying it and making it all nice in 100percent working order but my one question is, can or is this bike street legal?

thanks

andy

i remember reading a test in dirt bike magazine where they complained about the metal stalked blinkers being too fragile so,yes,it should be street legal. However most people sized to ride 80's have the mentality to match and theres a good chance all the street legal stuff is long gone.

That Yamaha DT80 is street legal ready and a title is need in all state.

Just make eventhing works like Horn, Head Ligth Hi/Low Beam, Running Ligths, Front and Rear Brake Ligths and Turn Signal and Both Mirror and Good Tire are on that Bike they may want do and inspection on it.

Georgia

All make sure you get a notarized Bill of sale

I've got a 1980 DT80 among a whole load of other bikes. They were very much a budget bike when new and not great bikes in my opinion. Fun enough to ride and all, but the forks and controls are about on par with a bicycle you might find at toys are us . The 4 speed gear box with the all up pattern is a little bizarre also . The engine runs well enough and I suppose if it's nearly free I'd buy another but really I'd look for something else first . A DT100 of similar year would be much better or a Honda XL80/100/125 would be light years ahead. and well worth the extra few $100 especially if you intend to ride it in traffic.

:thumbsup:

Just my $.02