Moose Foam Handguards?

i also posted this in the Dual Sport forum, but thought it might be appropriate to post here as well......

The last few days my morning commute has been in the 30 degree F range... and needless to say, my hands have gotten a little chilly.

was thinking about getting these.. http://www.dirtrider.com/gearbag/141_0904_gear_bag_moose_racing_foam_hand_guards/index.html

has anyone used them or something similar and how well do they work? i know i can get heated grips or heated gloves, was just hoping to find a more cost effective solution.

and if you have used them, what are the demensions? Pics would be awesome...

Edited by djsather

I use them in the winter.

They keep the wind from hitting your hands directly but, there is still air that blows around behind them, just not nearly as bad. They are nowhere nearly as effective as heated grips. But they are a start and make a difference.

If you get heated grips, make sure you wire in a relay so the grips only work when the key is on.....or you'll accidentally leave them on and kill your battery.

DSCN0991.jpg

DSCN0988.jpg

I use them in the winter.

They keep the wind from hitting your hands directly but, there is still air that blows around behind them, just not nearly as bad. They are nowhere nearly as effective as heated grips. But they are a start and make a difference.

If you get heated grips, make sure you wire in a relay so the grips only work when the key is on.....or you'll accidentally leave them on and kill your battery.

good to know. if i go with anything else it would probably be the tour master heated gloves, i have a friend that has them and he absolutely loves them. the only problem is that they are like $125 or something like that...

I use the moose foam ears, heated grips and a combination of gloves from the local sporting goods place:

a liner glove ($7)

Windproof over-glove ($20??)

Makes for a very adjustable system depending on the temps. Easy to add/remove layer and adjust grip temp. Can get thin offraod gloves back on as soon as a possible.

Whole set up cost $90 ??

Those ears attach with velcro stap and some of your own zip-ties

wow, the pics must not've loaded the first time i opened it. those things are massive.

are they the same ones from the link i posted at the top? if so, that is exactly what i'm looking for....

yea that's them..... the one's in your link are folded back a little bit it looks like.

They are pretty big but, like anything, you get used to them.

DO you know if those RMATV wind guards will for over cycra defelctors?

And how will they do moving around easily when the rider stands on the pegs?

OK, now you have got me...

I'm riding a SM on the street with no guards and I rarely stand up on it for long... I have these covers attached to the stalk of my bar end mirrors so they keep steady at speed. I'm not sure about the way they would fit over hand guards... I have not put these on my bike again since it is not cold enough yet. I could lay them out and give you some dimensions if that would help... Just let me know.

Standing up on the bike would probably be OK, the material is flexible and should provide enough movement.

These have worked very well for me and they are only $13.99...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=307&navTitle=Gift+Ideas&webCatId=31&keyword=hand+mitts&prodFamilyId=15583

I also have heated grips and I do not have to wear heavy gloves to keep my hands warm...

IMAG0723m.jpg

Did you put a hole in them so your mirrors would fit or did it come with the hole? If it had the hole I'm bet I could put my handguard ends through the hole. I think that would work well for me.

What is that attached to your key?

They fit well over some standard size Moose guards I have. The guards help them stay in place and keep their shape. If you had any issues, a strip of sticky back velcro (hook side) on the front of the guard would lock it right on. I can woods ride into the mid 20s comfortably with these. Smacked a few trees with them too and their holding up so far.

Did you put a hole in them so your mirrors would fit or did it come with the hole? If it had the hole I'm bet I could put my handguard ends through the hole. I think that would work well for me.

I did put a small hole in them so they would hold their position better at speed. It is only a 6mm hole, I use an extension to raise the mirrors when these are on in the winter.

With your hand guards I would go with the idea from Redrodent about using the velcro...:thumbsup:

What is that attached to your key?

I keep the fork lock key with the ignition key, I have a small rubber grommet in the bracket for the ignition and the fork key stays in there without flopping around.

RedRodent and Ihatefalling, I don't know what the RMATV handguards are. Can you help me?

Okay I figured it out. Rocky Mountain ATV website. Man, I can't believe I spent half an hour trying to figure that out.

I'm going to get some. I hate riding with thick ski gloves.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered them and should have them by Wednesday.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered them and should have them by Wednesday.

No thanks is necessary. Just give a review after you've tried them.:thumbsup:

No thanks is necessary. Just give a review after you've tried them.:thumbsup:

Will do.

So the dealership called and said they came in last night and there isn't supposed to be any rain tomorrow, so i should be able to give a review after my ride to work tomorrow morning. Supposed to be pretty cold tomorrow.

OK, here's the review...........

First off, i should say that i have fostbite from when i was a child, so certain parts of my body get very cold VERY quickly and start to hurt quite easily. That being said, i usually can't feel my hands by the time i get to work in the morning if it gets below 45 degrees.

today it was about 38 degrees and very damp so i felt colder than i have all year so far. My chest and body were getting a little chilly and the little spot of skin between my collar and helmet just under my chin was pretty cold. But...... my hands weren't that bad. Yes, my fingers were still a little chilly, but not nearly as much as usual. Which makes sense, these are NOT warmers, just wind blocks. And they did a great job of blocking wind.

definitely worth the $20 i spent on them. if you really wanted to get crazy and use these in conjunction with some kind of warmer, i believe you might just have the most comfortable late season riding possible.