Sign in to follow this  

Gold valve/ valving help

ok so i just bought a #2 valve kit on ebay it has shims, piston the whole deal, it also has an installation dvd as well as valving charts

the thing is i didn't realize the piston is for super-cross/motocross and even freestyle, and i am an off-road/mx rider

Can I adjust the shim stack to react better off-road or is this piston way to aggressive, if it is im going to keep the stock piston in there and change up the stack ?

any thoughts on this let me know

im

6'0 170(185 in gear)

springs are going to be changed for my weight

my thought originally was to set the stack up for woods with an aggressive piston for when i go to the track i don't bottom out

and yes i have had my forks apart before .. never for valving but i told my self last time i took them apart that next time i would change out the shims ... the time has come for a rebuild

P.s im also a broke college student so this is why its not going up to new hampshire to see F/C

Best advise sell it! Could have called me I have a coffee can full of these valves that I have taken out from a local hack!

Also you can't have suspension that works for trail and track. Stacks are not even close. lack of Highspeed in the trail setup.

What bike are you riding?

theDogger

yea the gv's are not much different than the stockers. don't know how rt pulled that one off.

yea the gv's are not much different than the stockers. don't know how rt pulled that one off.

No much different? What valves are you looking at?

theDogger:thumbsup:

No much different? What valves are you looking at?

theDogger:thumbsup:

okay, maybe i worded it wrong. i mean there's not an advantage over how well the stockers perform. honestly the stock pistons flow great, and the race tech design wasn't an improvement.

Now I will buy that! Here are some shots or OEM Showa BaseValves against Showa A-Kit valves. The port are slightly smaller about 2/3 the weight of OEM and kashima coated. If the GV are so great as so many attest. Why then do the factory team sponsored by RT run OEM based valves?

akitvalves1.jpg

akitvalves2.jpg

akitvalves3.jpg

theDogger

yea, the 01 is the 23mm piston, and it really is better performing in stock form. i also believe the later style pistons are better as well. i've been into several a-kits; i would argue the valving is the key; not the fancy piston. i'll even go so far as to say the national spring seats aren't the answer either. they're good, but i think showa would have stuck with the earlier rm design if it were needed. oh, wait. the early crf 450 shock pistons are in the new kx250f shocks! maybe they'll resurface later as well.

for the gv's you can go to race tech's site, and get valving specs. or, some here can offer up some stax.

thanks guys this might help

my current set up is not ideal for what i ride at all

i have to run my clickers all the way soft to get any where in the woods , they feel very stiff and bouncy

same goes for my shock

the stock pistons are fine.

when you purchase gold valve kits, you are paying for the shim stacks and information on how to adjust them.

i have also ordered the same kit for my cr500. however, i ordered the stage i kit.

i dont expect the gold valve to be the magic bullet. but i do expect to learn a hell of alot about valving my bike from the dvds and the spare shims ill have left over from the old stack.

some people absolutly love the gold valve setup. others dont like it much.

my suggestion is to run it and see how you like it. it will be a firm ride,not plush.