Sign in to follow this  

DR350SP gas cap leaking

Basically, when I dump the bike, fuel will come out through/around the gas cap. 1993 DR350SP, original metal tank and locking cap.

Three questions:

I believe I read that the tank is vented through the cap on this setup. If that is correct, then would leakage be expected when the bike gets dumped?

Where can I find the gasket for the cap? The original was dried and cracked, so I replaced it with the only thing I could find - a plumbing gasket (appears to be neoprene but who knows). It is getting swollen, so that won't last. I couldn't find a close match to an existing cap to cannibalize, nor could I find sheet gasket material that would work locally. I really don't want to have to buy the $97 OEM cap just for a $0.50 gasket.

What is the gasket made from? At least then I can try to find a sheet gasket of the right material.

Long post for a little part :thumbsup:

I believe I read that the tank is vented through the cap on this setup. If that is correct, then would leakage be expected when the bike gets dumped?

If the gasket is bad, yes.

Where can I find the gasket for the cap?

Another bike is your best bet. I believe the DR250 and DR350 use the same gas tank/cap. Get the OEM part number and search for that.

What is the gasket made from? At least then I can try to find a sheet gasket of the right material.

The key description is "gasoline resistant" material. I believe Neoprene, Viton, and Nitrile exhibit excellent gasoline resistance. If you find something that fits (or could be made to fit), just search for "gasoline resistance" or "chemical resistance". Manufacturers publish that information on the Web, so it's not hard to find.

Let us know how it works out :thumbsup:

Work is blocking TT now, so sorry for the long delay. It looks like the gasket is fine, simply a little deformed from the compression, but I did notice that the plastic part of the cap with the check ball/one way valve does have a crack in it. Looks like I will be hunting down a cap or an aftermarket tank. Thanks for the help.