Sign in to follow this  

New chain or not?

Well my stock chain is stretched out to the red on the adjustment marks on the adjusters. The rear sprocket looks good still.

Should I replace both sprockets and chain or can I just get away with a new chain?

Im just looking for some input.

New chain should be fine, if your going to replace the sprocket you should do both sprockets and the chain.

The standard rule-of-thumb seems to be "replace one-replace both" (chain/sprockets). But I've read some very good and authoritative arguments for getting two chains out of a single sprocket set ( as long as the sprockets are very lightly worn).

I recently installed a new DID x-ring chain and sprockets, but I have a humble $50 Primary-Drive chain ( RockyMountain's house brand) on reserve, and will probably toss that on for a few K once my DID gets old ( assuming the sprockets still look OK ).

BTW, I never got anywhere near the red zone on my adjuster,(at about 10K) but my chain was kinking-up pretty good,even after a couple kerosine baths and regular lubes with Du-Pont Multi-Use teflon lube. I was advised here to ditch it, and I did.

I use standard roller chains...

they wear out every 3-4 months or so...

Right now I have 3 chains on a new oem cs sprocket and jt 45 tooth rear...neither show any wear at all...

I test my chain every ride...when I see light when pulling the chain off the rear sprocket I know Im done and need a replacement....

the way I see it is sprockets will degrade fast and abruptly if you ride with a WORN CHAIN!

I get my roller DID chains for about 25 bucks...4 a year is $100

LESS THAN A DECENT oring chain...

plus a roller chain has less friction/resistance and would not lock up/kink like an oring chain if you ride in sand and or a lot of mud(had that happen on my klr)

the individual links got so stiff that nothing could "undo" the kinking...

anywhooo thats me

so far so good

Oh and for lube I use smoke oil treatment! jajaja

$2.50 for a quart of this sticky guey heavy grade oil...just like honda recomends! jajaj

cheers

Well my stock chain is stretched out to the red on the adjustment marks on the adjusters. The rear sprocket looks good still.

Should I replace both sprockets and chain or can I just get away with a new chain?

Im just looking for some input.

What bike meathead?

Any old chain on an XR600 is fine as they're not that powerfull.

Try any old chain on an XR650R and you'll be sorry.

I change out chain and sprockets when i need a chain.

I think the standard for the XR650R is an ERV2 maybe.

What bike meathead?

Any old chain on an XR600 is fine as they're not that powerfull.

Try any old chain on an XR650R and you'll be sorry.

I change out chain and sprockets when i need a chain.

I think the standard for the XR650R is an ERV2 maybe.

My XR650L I know the rule of thumb is.. well my rule of thumb is run a chain and sprockets as a set because they wear together. I was just trying to save 30 bucks by not buying a rear sprocket but Im going to go ahead and get a O-ring chain and a Rear sprocket. I allready have a front sprocket.

Meathead:thumbsup:

Some of the newer metal sprockets will go 2 chains but in my country they are way too dear.

dont use an aluminum sprocket-use a steel .when i bought my xrr it the previous owner put 1 of those ebay gold chain/aluminum sprocket sets on.it didnt last long-like a 500 mile dual sort weekend and it was done.currently running ironman sprockets and did erv chain-no problems.i use dry lube on them

dont use an aluminum sprocket-use a steel .when i bought my xrr it the previous owner put 1 of those ebay gold chain/aluminum sprocket sets on.it didnt last long-like a 500 mile dual sort weekend and it was done.currently running ironman sprockets and did erv chain-no problems.i use dry lube on them

Yea Aluminum ones are cool but wear out quick.