Sign in to follow this  

MX in Germany

Hi, anyone here ever lived/ridden in Germany? Getting ready to move there for a couple years and trying to decide whether to take my bike, buy one when there, or if riding sucks just sitting out for a couple yrs till I get back. Figure I might get a supermoto to fill the void, but nervous since I heard the drivers are crazy out there..prob no more crazy than anywhere else though. Anyone have an opinion/experience?

I've never lived there, but with a population of 80 million plus and a country that's a little bigger than the state of Montana... I'd guess there wouldn't be an overabundance of places to ride ? I could very easily be wrong though...

I get some of the dirt bike magazines from Europe and from what I read it isn't off road friendly. Riding off road is severely restricted. It's the Sierra Club's version of paradise. It's sad but New Jersey is more rider friendly than Germany! On a brighter note, they do have the Autobohn.

I have worked for the Germans and the Swiss for about 15 years now, and travel there quite a bit. Even the Autobahn ("highway" in English), doesn't have as many unrestricted areas anymore. There are quite a few supermoto bikes, but VERY limited offroad stuff. I did attend a MX race in Switzerland which was interesting. It was the "Swiss National Championship" and they told me they even had cheerleaders like we do in the States. Cheerleaders, I thought?! They really were just cheerleaders like at a high school football game. They had little kids on 85's, some sort of "Yamaha challenge" which was a bunch of goons on Yamaha 450's, and then the championship, all on the same MX track. Maybe you will meet someone with some land and be able to ride. After all, KTM is right there in Austria.

Good luck!

I would guess as far as offroad it would be strictly MX tracks. But road riding in Europe is a blast. Whole different story to here. I have no desire to own a street bike in North America but if I lived in Europe I would buy one in a heartbeat. Motorcylclists are respected on the road, and a massive network of tight twisty backroads with no traffic and speed enforcement to speak off.

I lived in Germany 7 years (1991 - 1998). And that was seven years of not riding dirt bikes. I had to go to the next best thing, mountain biking. When I looked into riding it was join a club and motocross track only, I am not a track guy. If I was to move there again I would see maybe to get into trails. My wife is German by the way, that is why I lived there. You will enjoy the beer, food and people but the winters are cold! Viel Spass!

I'm from Germany but living in Canada, as already mentioned you can't compare it with the States and it is mostly MX tracks, almost no freeriding unless you want to risk a ticket. Going to a track usually involves driving for an hour or so and then most of them are only open 2-3 days a week on lots of them you'll have to be a member to ride but the membership fee is usually fairly cheap and you pay it yearly, so no $20 everytime you go riding.

Depending on the area you plan to live there might be a higher concentration of tracks and you can always look onto the neighbouring countries as they are usually only 1-2h away and more offroad friendly.

Usually all the tracks are nicely integrated into the landscape with lots of elevation changes.

I would just buy a bike there to save money and hassle, they are not as cheap as in the States though, on the other hand street bikes are plentyfull and at a lower cost and the twisty roads are just heaven on earth :thumbsup: !

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Hi, anyone here ever lived/ridden in Germany? Getting ready to move there for a couple years and trying to decide whether to take my bike, buy one when there, or if riding sucks just sitting out for a couple yrs till I get back. Figure I might get a supermoto to fill the void, but nervous since I heard the drivers are crazy out there..prob no more crazy than anywhere else though. Anyone have an opinion/experience?

Are you in the USAF? If so good luck and thank you for your service. I spent 3 years there from 2000 - 2003 and it was the best assignment in my 20 year career.

I would definitely take my bike and plan to find a nearby track. The other option is cross country racing, that looks just like hare scrambles here in the states. Here is a link I just found: http://www.xcc-racing.com/htdocs/de/

The other thing I would recommend is writing the guy who runs the offroadchampions.com website. He is a European who lives in Colorado and is extremely knowledgeable about the whole European riding and racing scene.

Bottom line, I would take or buy a bike. If you military you can buy expensive items with a V.A.T. form. Stands for Value Added Tax and saves you the huge sales tax Germans pay for goods.

Hope this helps!