Sign in to follow this  

So do i go with my YZ or Ktm?

should i stick with my 08 yz 250 (which i love)

or should i go buy the new 2012 ktm 250 with 5 more horse power stock+ all the ktm trickery that comes along?

mx only

intermediate rider btw!

thanks

My opinion, with help from others, is that us novice and intermediate riders don't benefit enough from a new bike to offset the cost.

If you need a new bike, or just have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, give the ktm a try.

If you're just looking to become a better rider, take into consideration that you're not riding your current bike to it's full potential.

A decent pro could hop on a supermini and run laps around you.

My 0.02$

yeah....im pretty sure a pro couldnt run "laps" around me on a supermini. im not an old man like most tter's

HAHA...I'm an old man, and I'm pretty sure a supermini can't run laps around me either. Shuddles...watch it, some of us "old men" are capable of taking it to you.

It is just a matter of personal preference. I have an 06 YZ250, and have ridden my friends 11 250SX a few times. I like nearly all aspects of the SX better than my personal bike. I think the SX turns with less input, feels noticably lighter, has better throttle response, and better brakes. His suspension has been worked on by ds1434, and it worked as well as my bike too. There are lots of wrong ways to set up a KTM though, but his worked well for me. I will add that I really do like my YZ, I would just prefer a KTM at this point. I'm 51, used to race A class mx, now I race GP's.

Oh yeah...Ride the KTM before you buy. They feel different than the YZ, for sure. That motor is awesome though. But, if you're racing the 250 class, you don't need all that motor against the 250Fs.

Its a fools move to run against supermini's. The kids are fast and on a small track they will run away from a full sized bike.

I hate to say this, but here goes. I like my yz 250, and plan to stay with it for a long time. I've never been oen to switch vehicles until the need was there. Not everyone feels this way and if a person wants to switch, go for it. To switch from an 08 yz to a 2012 would be pointless, so what choice do you have? I suppose the Berg looks cool, but is probably not up to KTM standards yet.

I would not pay any attention to power differences. Its easy to make five, or give up five, with pipes and porting. Cost on that is minimal. Not cheap, but 450 exhaust price, anyway.

If owning the ultimate 250 two stroke is what you're after, I would save the 5k a bike change would cost and get a used set of works forks, and shock.

yeah....im pretty sure a pro couldnt run "laps" around me on a supermini. im not an old man like most tter's
HAHA...I'm an old man, and I'm pretty sure a supermini can't run laps around me either. Shuddles...watch it, some of us "old men" are capable of taking it to you.

Yeah, right. For comparison, these are the fastest laps in the big bike class and the supermini class at the MEC.

Adam Cianciarulo- 1.35

RV2- 1.26

I think it would be foolish, but I'm biased because I love my 05 YZ.