Sign in to follow this  

'99 RM 250...Building a great "playbike"...

:thumbsup: I just bought this bike 3 months ago to ride in the Mojave desert with my girl,(CRF 230). The price was right, and I figured I would get on a 2 stroke again,(or any dirt bike again), after 35 years of not riding much. I owned an 04 XR 400 Honda for a brief time, and I really liked it, except for the weight and starting. So here I an today with this "hi strung rocket" that I'm "taming". I've installed an FMF Gnarly pipe, (the best investment so far!) a 10oz FWW, (I'm kinda liking this little mod, WAY less stalling.) So my question is about handling at this point. This bike turns on a dime! And that is great, but the high speed stability is a little "un nerving" to say the least! I've lowered the forks in the triple clamp "flush" with the tops of the clamps...maybe gained an 1/8", and set the sag at 4". What else can be done to make this bike a little more stable at speed?

Sprockets? As in higher gearing/ longer wheelbase with stock chain? "IE" smaller rear sprocket...longer wheelbase?

For free: Increase the compression damping in the forks and soften the compression damping in the rear.

A few bucks: It would also be worth going up in the fork spring rate. How much do you weigh? It's possible that you may want to go up a couple rates in the forks. Try surfing Race Tech's web site, they've got a spring rate calculator that has always produced great results for me.

A few more bucks: Send your suspension out to be revalved for you and the conditions that you need the most help with (ie "dune riding", or "tight woods", or "MX" ... ).

Thanks for the info! I weigh 200 lbs. "dry" and I'm not real aggressive on this bike, but I will run it on occasion. I was thinking the spring rate could be a little soft for me/ running fast in the desert. Keeping the front "up in it's travel" does help stability at speed? right? I have never rode a bike with this much suspension/power before.....Things have changed over 3 decades. So, any help is appreciated:ride:!

Sprockets? As in higher gearing/ longer wheelbase with stock chain? "IE" smaller rear sprocket...longer wheelbase?

how many teeth do you have currently on your front and rear sprocket? i ride 12 in the front and 50 in the back, if you want your bike a little more "tame", i would up the rear, this will increase torque and take away from the top speed..

Zig 06...I think you are right about the front...I looked at the dust "mark" on the forks, and I'm using about 7" of the available travel running around in my yard...(no jumping, but 4th gear "stutter bumps") More spring up front would help...I think. "707", Hmmm...I would think that "higher" gearing would put the bike in the lower RPM range....I would be pulling at the "softer end" of the engine. The bike could use some more top speed for desert...

Took the bike out to the desert today, MUCH better stability dropping the comp. damping in the rear/increasing front comp. damping. However, I do think I need heaver front fork springs, still using a lot of travel up front not really pushing the bike hard in whoops/jumps.Thank you Zig06! I,m having a hard time finding springs for this year RM though...I can't find a "graph" showing the spring rate I need for my weight/riding style. Can anyone put me in the "ballpark" on this? I weigh around 210 with gear, desert/intermediate rider..I want the front up in it's travel most of the time.

Places probably won't stock that spring for that fork which means you may have to wait a couple of weeks if they have to make you some.

Thanks kan...I'm really having trouble finding higher rate springs for this bike...4.00 is the heaviest I have found. I did not know I could springs "made" for this bike! Time is not a issue...getting it "right" the first time is!