Sign in to follow this  

just checked valve clearance need ur thoughts

just checked them for the first time this is what i got,

intake LH .003 RH .006

exhaust LH .005 RH .003

and factory is what in .005-.007

and ex .006-.009

so i got one intake valve in spec right? and the others are tight.

when the valves wear do they tighten up? and this isnt too bad is it, i can shim it and be good right?:thumbsup:

does this sound like my valves are worn alot. or not to bad and just need to shim?

I would re-shim to get them in spec, then check them every so often. Once the coating wears off the titanium valves, they wear down pretty quick. So if they tighten up again after just a few hours, it may be time to replace them, or at least pull the head and make sure they are ok. My buddy had a KX250F with the valves that the coating wore off and you could easily see the wear on the valve and they needed to be replaced. Usually the intakes wear from dirt getting past the air filter and yours are not too far out so they may be ok after re-shimming. Just check the clearance more often to catch it early so it doesn't give you a hard time starting in the middle of nowhere.

Tailender thanks for the great advice and info.. exactly what i was looking to hear. ill get on that and keep an eye on her

I would re-shim to get them in spec, then check them every so often. Once the coating wears off the titanium valves, they wear down pretty quick. So if they tighten up again after just a few hours, it may be time to replace them, or at least pull the head and make sure they are ok. My buddy had a KX250F with the valves that the coating wore off and you could easily see the wear on the valve and they needed to be replaced. Usually the intakes wear from dirt getting past the air filter and yours are not too far out so they may be ok after re-shimming. Just check the clearance more often to catch it early so it doesn't give you a hard time starting in the middle of nowhere.

+1 my girlfriends crf250 :thumbsup: valves started to get out of spec, I was able to shim her valves about seven times before her left intake went bad. Remember though that bike was a honda:lol:. You will be fine shimming it and going riding but like tailender said just go back and check to see if they start moving. My girlfriends crf went from just a little out of spec to not having clearance at all but like I said we got about seven adjustments before replacement

+1 my girlfriends crf250 :thumbsup: valves started to get out of spec, I was able to shim her valves about seven times before her left intake went bad. Remember though that bike was a honda:lol:. You will be fine shimming it and going riding but like tailender said just go back and check to see if they start moving. My girlfriends crf went from just a little out of spec to not having clearance at all but like I said we got about seven adjustments before replacement

7 adjustments? WOW! I would be a little worried after 2 or 3. If it needs adjustment, something is wearing. And I'm sure you don't want to know the price of repairs for a broken valve just because you wanted to shim it more times. 1 or 2 valves compared to, possibly 4 valves, piston, cylinder, and head. I'd rather pay for just two valves.

7 adjustments? WOW! I would be a little worried after 2 or 3. If it needs adjustment, something is wearing. And I'm sure you don't want to know the price of repairs for a broken valve just because you wanted to shim it more times. 1 or 2 valves compared to, possibly 4 valves, piston, cylinder, and head. I'd rather pay for just two valves.

i like your style, im just waiting on shims now. ill be takin a look at the valves here soon