Sign in to follow this  

Tire upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my tires on my 09 te450. The stockers are Michelin Enduro 3 (DOT approved). These tires won't be used on the road so I want an all out off road tire. Just wondering what others are running and what size? I know the Michelins have a weird sizing, so from what I've found on the internet, most manufacturers don't offer a 140/80-18. The stock front is 90/90-21. I ride mostly in northern Michigan. A lot of Single Track, mix of everything when it comes to the ground. Mostly intermediate, quite a few rocks, sandy whoops, a little hardpack and mud after a good rain.

I was thinking of a Mid Soft tire/intermediate for all around performance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Noticed you haven't had any responses to this yet after 50 views, I'm sure everyone is thinking... Use the search button. I don't have any advice, I'm currently shopping for tires too, and have searched a lot. Not many reviews that are recent, but some are out there. I'll pay attention to see if anyone with insight has some advice. I'm currently looking at the Kenda Parker 80/100 front for my '10 TE 450.

Here is a response from kenda when I asked about tire size and their options for a front.

I would actually think an 80/100 would be much better for your

application. A 90/90 has a much lower profile and is usually intended for

Arenacross or Supercross type conditions. The 80/100 will allow for a bit more

cushioning in harsher off-road terrain conditions.

KENDA Powersports Division

Gus Niewenhous

Sales and Marketing Manager

gniewenhous@kendausa.com

7095 Americana Pkwy

Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

I like the Bridgestones, 404 I think, and also a Michelin trials for the rear will do wonders for traction. Rocky Mountain atvmc is a good online source.

+1 on a trials tire for the rear. My vote would be for a Pirelli MT 43. Honestly the grip on a trials tire cannot be matched by any knobby.

I finally switched to a trials tire yesterday and after one ride am conviced. They work geat everywhere. MT-43 D.O.T.

I run Michelin M12 XCs... have a pile of them in my garage and I'll be using these for a while.

They work great in New Jersey both in the sand and rocks and Michigan is a lot like New Jersey.

I run Michelin M12 XCs... have a pile of them in my garage and I'll be using these for a while.

They work great in New Jersey both in the sand and rocks and Michigan is a lot like New Jersey.

That's what I've got on my 511 (rear only) got a smokin' deal on it, couldn't

pass up. It's worked good so far in the dirt and mud.

I like the Bridgestones, 404 I think, and also a Michelin trials for the rear will do wonders for traction. Rocky Mountain atvmc is a good online source.

I really like the 404's and was seriously considering them, but I think the 203/204 combo from Bridgestone would be a little better for the trails I ride. The 404's seem to have gotten great reviews, and almost every review commented on how durable they were. It was after a lot of thinking, I realized that it seems like most of the time we're on the trail, we seem to run into quite a bit of sand, so I figured a soft/intermediate would be a better way to go.

How do the trials tires work in the sand? I've never ridden with one, or have never seen one on the trail around here. It seems like a lot of guys are running them. Like I posted above, we seem to run into a lot of sand.

How do the trials tires work in the sand? I've never ridden with one, or have never seen one on the trail around here. It seems like a lot of guys are running them. Like I posted above, we seem to run into a lot of sand.

Much better than you would expect. Not the ultimate sand tire but works fine. Where they really shine is roots and rocks and slower going technical stuff.

A trials tire in the mud ?? Winter is upon us which in most cases means mud season.

Try an IRC M5(five)B on the rear. It comes in 140/80/18. Works well for a winter tire.

I have to agree with this statement....I may have made the switch to trials tire a little late in the year. The IRC M5B is the best winter tire I've ever run. I havn't had the trials tire in the mud yet, so we'll se how it goes as it get's wetter.