Sign in to follow this  

xr100 crankshaft help

Im new to the site and allready learned some good stuff from here.And wanted to ask the pros a question lol..I bought a non-running 1986 xr 100, i bought a bbr 120 kit and come to find out the motor has a stroker crank in it, so the bbr piston hits the crank throws at bdc. I want to just put a stock crank and rod in it to fix the problem. What i need to know is can i put a newer model crank in it like a 2000 model i know the keyway is diffrent but other than that can i use a 1992-maybe 2005 crank in the 1986 cases? Thanks for any help my 9yr old wants to ride lol

You can put in the newer crank, but I would suggest upgrading to CDI ignition. I may be interested in the stroker crank, if you want to part with it. Just PM me...

Want to get rid of the stroker crank? I have a stock crank I can give you with some cash or I can just buy it outright. PM'd you.

If you have a upright belt sander, you can use it on your piston to make room for the crank. I did that with no problems.

The first thing i thought to do was cut the piston but at top dead center the piston is 1/4 inch down in the cylinder lol, I bought a stock crank to fix the problem. I sure hope it works i bought a 1994 model crank to put in the 1986 case.

The crank will work, but the key won't unless you swap over to a CDI ignition.

Ok Thanks thats good to hear it will work. I will convert it to cdi soon after i get it back together. Is there any good aftermarket cdi complete kits i can buy? Or should i buy oem cdi parts to put on it. Thanks for the help

Jason