What's the verdict on dry moly?

I hate to do it, but Dry Moly from aerosol on your O-Ring chain? Honda sells theirs and there are off brands used in industrial apps. I make the guys in my shop use Mcmaster carrs line in certain areas on CNC machines over the last decade with excellent results but there are no chains or sprockets involved there. I use a garage door opener chain lube from menards that I love on my bike , but in a hard day of riding it needs to be scrubbed off of my Regina and reapplied. Would a good coating of dry moly do the lubrication job and keep the chain cleaner longer on the trail?

JJ

I use dry moly spray in industrial applications all the time. I don't think it would work well on a chain though. Dry moly is meant to be used on sliding and rolling surfaces with lots of contact area where oils would attract dirt. I think thy wouldn't penetrate well into a chain's working area and would be scrubbed quickly from that due to its dry nature. Oils and even waxes warm and repopulate the working area of a chain as it runs, dry moly won't do that.

I think chain wax is the way to go if you want to keep things clean and don't spend a lot of time in the mud. For really wet and muddy conditions regular slimy chain lube works best.