Sign in to follow this  

Am I to short

I was recently given a 1990 dr350s from my dad and have yet to ride it. I pushed the forks as far up the trees as i could and took most of the preload out of the back shock, but i'm only 5'6 125 pounds. Am i going to have issues? I'm not to worried about the actual riding of the bike, i'v been riding and racing sense i was 6 its just height i'm worried about. Also are the Kouba lowering links worth it?

I am 5'7" and 135lbs and I have a DR650. I am doing just fine. (DR650 is the same seat hieght as the 350, but way more heavier)

Thats the thing with the DRs, you dont have to flat foot like sportsbikes.

Since you are not a newbie, you will get used to it quickly. IF its really annoying, then look into lowering links. I would say give it a try first.

I'm not flat footed on my '90 DR350S either. I have Pirelli Scorpion tires on it now, it's a bit lower than the Kenda knobbies that were on it before. I keep it on the kick stand while mounting and starting. It works for me.

I'm 5'6" also, 128lbs, and my DR650 is the *lowest* seat-height bike that I have ever ridden -- the only bike where I can tip-toe with both feet on the ground. The point here is that being able to touch the ground is irrelevant because you shouldn't need to do so; if you have been riding for so many years you should be able to balance the bike well and not even need to put a foot down unless you stop at a traffic light for an extended period of time; for short stops (a few seconds) you should be able to do a trackstand.

Lowering links are not advisable since you won't be able to carry out the corresponding lowering of the forks, thus ending up altering the geometry of the bike.

I'm 5'8'' and my wife is 5'3'' and we bought DR650's for the seat height. For a year we used gel seats to get lower heights but for distance riding they're terrible. My wife can deal well with the seat height but she's hesitant to go off-road, which is fine as we use them for street-highway only. You should have no problem with a DR350.