Sign in to follow this  

wiseco clutch basket install?

Just putting in a new wiseco basket on stock hub & gear, after I installed the new fasteners they did not protrude through the inside of the basket enough to peen the ends. Never had this happen, anyone else?

I just installed a new basket and used the provided "Red" thread locker with the provided allen screws. Small gear went in very snug. Heated basket to 400 degrees and put small gear in freezer still had to hammer it in. I would'nt attempt to peen the allens you could bugger the threads and distort the basket or worse yet, create a stress fracture. I like the Weisco good price and well made unit.

I just did the same on a 2006 CRF450. Maybe 2 or 3 threads came through the basket, just enough to peen.

If the threads are good and clean (brake cleaner cleaned) on the basket and the screws, the red loctie will keep them where they should be. Hell, you'll need a torch to get them out without destroying the threads in the basket Id bet.

Not a safe bet. It is best to peen the bolts like the instructions say unless you want to be picking bolt heads out of your bottom end. Baskets rotate counter-clockwise, so the natural tendency is for the bolts to work themselves loose. Peen them.

I contacted wiseco, they said peen them even if the bolt is down in the thread. Last one I installed on my '04 the bolts came all the way through which made more sense. At the same time, I doubt I'll ever wear this basket out while I own the bike. So, peen the bolt-ruin the thread, or don't peen-save the threads and chance loosing a bolt in the bottom end.

yet one more reason for my 4th basket, i just went with a new OEM basket that comes with a gear already installed.. They all wear out, and i got tired of griding, heating with torches, etc. I wanna ride! :thumbsup:

I contacted wiseco, they said peen them even if the bolt is down in the thread. Last one I installed on my '04 the bolts came all the way through which made more sense. At the same time, I doubt I'll ever wear this basket out while I own the bike. So, peen the bolt-ruin the thread, or don't peen-save the threads and chance loosing a bolt in the bottom end.

Thanks for the post, this is one of the most critical aspects of assembling your Wiseco clutch basket! Peen the bolts, and your basket will live a long, happy life!