Pulling XT350 cylinder to fix oil leak?

Hey guys. 96 XT350. I have a very slight oil leak under the right rear corner of the cylinder on my XT. It gets damp with oil after a substantial ride 2+ miles. It is probably not anything I need to pull apart and fix, but I figured I would see if anyone has had their cylinder off. If I can pull the cylinder and slap a new gasket on without having to hone it or do much nonsense I may do it to make my becoming-vintage XT leak free.

So can anyone give me a basic list of steps to replace the base cylinder gasket? Are there any tricks I should know about other than simple disassembly and reassembly? I have a pdf Yamaha service manual that is pretty worthless, but I think I will pick up a Clymer manual I spotted at the stealership a few weeks ago.

You can download a free manual here :

http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1359

I have a manual exactly like this ( and the one from carlsalter.com ):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1984-YAMAHA-XT350-N-NC-SERVICE-MANUAL-/360345435019?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e642fb8b

It is very thorough . The seller seems a bit confused , but if the manual they are selling is what is pictured , you should be good ( N is the 1985 year designation ). Remember that the XT350 is the same bike ( other than color scheme ) from 1985 through 2000 .

I've had the cylinder off a few times. If you are comfortable with a wrench, it's pretty easy. You can do it with the engine in the bike if you want. It will also be a good time to check/adjust your valve since you will have the head off anyway. Just remember to measure them before you remove the cams. I always forget for some reason. They will likely be ok though.

I usually put new rings in and run a hone through the cylinder if I have the chance. You dont have to, but it's a good idea on an older engine.

The Clymer will walk you through it. I can't think of any tricks other than tying up the timing chain so you don't drop it into the case.

Excellent. I'll pick up the Clymer Saturday and replace the gasket next time I'm home. ? My XT only has 3,800 miles on it and I'm running short on time and money before I go on a weekend trip with my dad, so I'm hoping to get away without rings and a hone this time.

I'm running short on time and money

We use to cut our own base gaskets out of cereal boxes . Now , I use a rubberized gasket material I get from NAPA . Last I bought : 7 bucks gave me enough 'paper' to gasket a complete motor and still have a bunch left . It's pretty tough stuff . I like it a lot better than the OEM gasket material .

If you're short on time, leave it alone for now. I'd only do it when i can take my time. Mine leaked at the base for a year before i got around to fixing it. Just keep an eye on the oil level.

If you decide to make a gasket, make sure you use the same thickness as stock or you will be changing the compression. Too thin could be very bad. I'd go with a full top end gasket kit. It will have the base o-ring and head gasket which you can't make anyway.

Well, Yes you can , but ... That's a matter for 'tomorrow . ?

True... but the o-ring is really hard to make:p

Regardless, I wouldn't advise opening up a low milage engine that runs fine just before a trip to fix a little seepage. The o-ring will stop it from becoming a major leak. Do it when there is more time.

With only 3800mi, i wouldn't bother with rings, or valves either. It's barely broken in.

If you really want to do something, pull the cams and retorque the head(loosten the bolts a hair first).

I think I will wait until after the trip and maybe do it the week or two I am home afterwards. I will order a gasket kit because I don't trust myself cutting new gaskets. The seepage is annoying but I'm almost certain the oil loss is negligible. Last oil change I put a little lucas oil stabilizer in the oil ~100ml maybe. I do a lot of highway riding at around 4500-5000rpm and I had been noticing a little oil loss. The oil loss has slowed down, and visually, the seepage appears about the same. So I'll let it ride til after my trip.