Pro-Taper 1 1/8" bar help...

hey all - bent stockers, bought a 1/ 1/8" set of Pro-Taper CR Mids, got some adapters from Procycle and now the mounting is not problem BUT - I can't seem to get the stock clutch ring clamp mounting over the KNURLS!

I've pried open the ring clamp as much as it feels safe to do (seen those things break before) - about 3/16" maybe - but I still can't get it to slide over those damn knurls...

obviously many of you have figured this out somehow - any advice?

trying to stay away from the belt sander ?

cheers,

b

PS - I notice that the Renthal bars don't have any knurling on them - but their "Fatbars" are listed as 31.8mm - which is actually a hair over *1 1/4"* which means - I think - that my 1 1/8" adapters will not work.

right?

Edited by bobthebob
adding info

I have no clue about how to fix your problem but I get from the post is the hole where the bar slides through is too small?? Maybe by alot? I would just clamp the lever in a mill and bore the hole to a new size? this is easy for anyone with a mill. How does a belt sander help?? Grind down the OD of the bar?? YOU would make a mess out of it.

If what I am saying is correct the only way is for a machine shop to bore the lever hole out to a large size.

Really quit simple.

well - if I had easy access to a mill - I wouldn't have asked the question.

obviously tho, many others have managed to mount ProTaper Bars - I assume without needing special trips to a machine shop.

BTW - it would be easy enough to grind down only the knurls without tampering with the actual OD of the bar itself.

**I** probably wouldn't make a mess of it - but it's not the right way to do it.

SO - can I hear from the people who HAVE managed this and DO have a clue about how to fix my problem?

I just swapped out to a Moose DRZ400 two piece clutch perch and shorty lever while I was at it. Fits and works like a champ! pry that cheap oem clutch perch off and upgrade for about $20 more ?

When I first swapped out to pro tapers I did keep the oem clutch perch for awhile but my protapers were used off ebay amd didnt have knurling. Guess the were older models but what the heck, only cost $29 delivered for Easton ProTapers (cr-high). Best I can offer is you gotta pry open more...carefully...very carefully. Good luck! If they snap at least you know you can go with DRZ perch and be back in business

well - if I had easy access to a mill - I wouldn't have asked the question.

obviously tho, many others have managed to mount ProTaper Bars - I assume without needing special trips to a machine shop.

BTW - it would be easy enough to grind down only the knurls without tampering with the actual OD of the bar itself.

**I** probably wouldn't make a mess of it - but it's not the right way to do it.

SO - can I hear from the people who HAVE managed this and DO have a clue about how to fix my problem?

Sorry I ticked you off by giving your post a boost. I see you are new and I will stay away from you.

Good luck

I put on new ProTapers last week. I used a plastic builder's shim to wedge open the perch while I slid it on. If you use the segmented shims, you can snap off the unused portion so it is not in your way during the operation. Just wait 'til you get to the grips! Good Luck.

http://www.renaissancefasteners.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1914&idcategory=315

thanksd - I bought a two piece perch set up which then gave me the courage to pry away at mine - got it opened up and on there - then wanted to ride it ASAP so the two piece perch is sitting on my work bench for now!

the grips were ok - I just always use rubbing alcohol (or contact cleaner or starter fluid or any other liquid that will evap at room temp).

I hated filing down the locator pins but it had to be done.

the only thing that was a bit strange was that when I mounted the master cyl. to the bars it actually wasn't able to mount far enough out... in other words - it went on but on a section of the ProTaper bar that had a bit of a bend in it, rather than on the polished section at the end of the bars where the grips go.

jeez, that was a horrible description. sorry, it's late here and I'm pretty burnt - hopefully you understood what I was trying to say!

anyway, I was a bit surprised since I thought the PT's were actually wider than the stock bars. did you find anything similar?

BTW - I'm using CR High's.

cheers,

b