Sign in to follow this  

Bike Reputation

Its been on my mind for a while now

how did the bikes get the reputation that I hear from people

Kawasaki are junk MX bikes

Honda and Yamaha are grandpas MX bikes

Suzuki and KTM are the bad boys in the MX world

how did they get their reputation??

I think it comes from brand loyalty. So all others are junk or otherwise have something wrong with them. Plus, older bikes, like 70's and early 80's had a lot different reliability and set up issues that people had to deal with, some making the bikes barely usable, especially on the track.

RV won this years Supercross and Motocross titles on a POS Kawasaki. Pro Circuit Racing absolutely rules the 250 class on POS Kawis. I have yet to see KTM take an MX Championship here in the US. I'd say someone is misinformed.

I'd say these are totally dependent on who you're talking to. I wasn't familiar with any of these "reputations".

My impression of the reputations?

Kawasaki & Honda: Cutting edge MX tech

Yamaha: Solid and dependable and the Jap 2 stroke

Suzuki: Always a step behind and not great reliability but great turning.

KTM: For trail riders and MX conesoirs(sp?) of quality who don't mind being different. A little unproven at the highest level of MX.

I NEVER buy bikes based on who's winning MX.

Nor do millions of others. I wonder why motorcycle factories even bother with race teams when the shops are closed on Monday and the majority of their sales are not MX bikes?

Posers who only leave the parking lot on practice days, and then only a lap at a time.

Posers who only leave the parking lot to ride down the fire road to a better beer drink spot.

Posers who by a new "best" MX bike each year, but have never been on a track, or competitive off road race even.

Oh and brand loyalty, because they think they actually ride good enough to know the difference between each brand best new bike.

I NEVER buy bikes based on who's winning MX.

And neither should anybody else, The bikes you see winning MX and SX are changed so much that they barely even resemble the bikes that come from the factory's in Japan !

The bikes you see on Tv are costing hundreds of thousands to build up

I'd say these are totally dependent on who you're talking to. I wasn't familiar with any of these "reputations".

KTM: For trail riders and MX conesoirs(sp?) of quality who don't mind being different. A little unproven at the highest level of MX.

I think you maybe should take the world championships in to consideration, or as an alernative....especially for the KTM comment.

Its personal opinion at the end of the day though, I am a die hard Honda fan, but only the 2 strokes :thumbsup:

What he said.My thoughts exactly before reading your post....Old Ford Chevy debate

What does it all matter?? Ride what you like!! But make DAM Sure your having fun while doing it!! LMAO. Thats my thoughts on this!

What does it all matter?? Ride what you like!! But make DAM Sure your having fun while doing it!! LMAO. Thats my thoughts on this!

Thats dam straight GTXR!!!! I own three Suzukis, two Hondas, two Yamahas, and one Kawasaki, and the 1987 YZ250 is just as fun and just as fast as the 2010 Kawi. Do I have favorites? Hell yes my 96 RM 250, and my 97 XR400R. Brand loyalty shit just pick a color and ride.:thumbsup: