Sign in to follow this  

2011 to '12 dual injector setup?

I am seriously considering fitting the dual-injector setup from the '12

kx250F to my '11. I have gone through parts diagrams and the list of changes is fairly large, however, I am trying to figure out what is absolutely necessary and what is not to make it function correctly.

As a minimum list of parts needed to switch to dual injectors, I came up with this:

1. ECU ($404)

2. second injector ($55)

3. Fuel hoses ($112)

4. fuel pipe and bolt for inj 2 ($8)

5. Seal for injector 2 ($4)

6. Airboot w/ injector mount ($45)

7. Main harness with injector 2 wiring (the '11 had a sub-harness that plugged into the main harness that had all the TB connectors on it, while the '12 has one harness with the sub-harness and injector 2 wiring as part of it...and it will cost about $193)

Total is over $800

Then there is a new crankshaft, ACG rotor, fuel pump, Throttle body, piston coating and cylinder coating, airbox, exh camshaft, and more. This stuff, i believe, is not going to be absolutely necessary to run the 2nd injector...however it would have some performance/reliability differences with the different inertia rotor and stronger crank and rod. The TB also has a seal to keep fuel from contaminating the TPS but that is a risk I think one could take if they remove the TPS once in a while and clean it out and reset it...though that is easier said than done.

One of the parts that has changed, to what extent I do not know, is the exhaust camshaft. I do not know if it is a cam profile change, or if it is just an update to the decomp mechanism. On the kawasaki website where they list the changes for the '12, they say the exh cam is revised to have better action on the decomp mech, but it does not mention a profile change. The strange thing is, if you look at the parts diagrams from '12 and '11, it shows that the spring, bolt, and decomp lever are all identical parts, while the cam purchased as a complete part is a new part number. This does not answer my question...so they either changed something on the cam so that the same decomp mech parts would work better, or the change includes a profile revision, or both. Anyone know?

Then there is the new airbox and airboot. I am hoping just the airboot is needed from the '12, but if it does not work with the '11 airbox then I will need that too.. that is another $100.

I did talk to my dealer that I bought the '11 from about trading in for a '12, but they wanted to give me such a bad deal ($4000 and the '11 bike...!) that I decided to look into the above method of making my own '12. If anybody else is interested in doing this, lets pool our resources and see if we can figure out the necessary items and get this thing going. From what MXA has said about the 2nd injector, it seems like a really worthwhile change. The '12 makes almost 40 HP and 20.5 ft-lbs stock, and that is amazing for a stock FI 250F. They also say it has over-rev instead of just going flat at 10000 like the '11 does, and it harkens back to the character of the '09 and '10 carb bikes but with more power.

seriously...nobody is interested in trying to get the 2nd injector working on the 2011 bike? I am disappointed. I will see what I can do with it, however, another avenue I am looking into is the Simon Smart Body (SSB) Thesis throttle body kit. It is $699 and comes with the tool to reset your TPS (voltage source and voltmeter). Supposed to add 1 to 2 HP across the band. Don't know if it gives some over 10000 RPM power though. That is what the 2nd injector does, as much as 4 more horsepower over the '11 past peak power with it.

another thought is the bazzaz closed loop system. Anyone running it? I want to get my big bore (269cc) kit on my '11 dialed in better, and that seems like a good place to start. Being able to pick an A/F ratio and knowing you are at that point is like a car...and the system is simple and compact with very low weight. Just would have to take my header to a muffler shop and have them weld a bung in place...

Old news I posted this months ago!

so where is your post? Are you working on doing the '12 injector setup in your '11?

as far as me actualy doing it.. Probably not.. Not sure what my plans are for next year.. I've been thinking of getting a 250 two stroke.. I know I don't want a 450f due to the added weight but I've been getting aggitated on winding the 11 out in sand.. O well. Good luck..