Sign in to follow this  

Some jumping questions

I went out with a member on hear the other day. It was awesome and I am glad I went because he showed me a lot of things including on how to jump so I had my first real jumps the other day :thumbsup:.

But there are some things that I still am not so certain on. One thing that I really dislike is even when I stand and go off the end I feel like my body gets launched up by the bike somehow. Part of it is probably the suspension, I know my kdx does not have the suspension for that kind of riding so that is probably some of the bounciness I get but is there anything I can do to help minimize that?

Also can someone describe what they do just before they go off the ramp so I kind of know the 'steps' I need to take. My bike dips a little bit and I was told to pull on the handlebars a bit before I went off the jump and it helped some. But I am still open for any tips.

Squeeze the bike with your legs. Suspension could be rebounding too quickly as well. Jumping takes a bit to feel comfortable but its probably those two things. For sure squeeze with your legs

One thing that I really dislike is even when I stand and go off the end I feel like my body gets launched up by the bike somehow. Part of it is probably the suspension, I know my kdx does not have the suspension for that kind of riding so that is probably some of the bounciness I get but is there anything I can do to help minimize that?

Motocross is very difficult to do with a trail bike, mostly because trail bike's suspension is so soft. At the same time though, your problem sounds to me like a very common issue a lot of people have, myself included. When you launch off jumps, you need to get off the seat using your legs and stand forward. You can't just stay seated on the bike and jump, you need to move your whole body more forward and that will allow you to pinch the bike (grabbing a hold of the chassis) so it won't kick from under you.

Also can someone describe what they do just before they go off the ramp so I kind of know the 'steps' I need to take. My bike dips a little bit and I was told to pull on the handlebars a bit before I went off the jump and it helped some. But I am still open for any tips.

On my lil 2 stroke, I approach the jump pinned, when I reach critical velocity (which you only know from experience) I back off the throttle slightly just to maintain that speed. As I go up the jump face, I stand up and as the bike leaves the jump face, I let the bike rise up into my butt so it looks like I'm sitting, but in reality I'm not. Then during the flight, I maintain the position of the bike using a few techniques; throttle and body position (forward/back). If I leave a jump face and the front is low, I pin the throttle and lean back. If I leave a jump face and the front is high, I kill the throttle and lean forward. When your ready land, you want your feet to be square on the pegs, you want your body to ready to pinch and back to that standing position again. When you actually hit the ground, you wanna be right back on the throttle (because it helps keep the bike moving forward) you also wanna be in an aggressive stance, pinching the bike to maintain control.

Everyone has their own way of jumping, lots of guys use the rear brake to get the nose down, lots of guys throw whips off jumps and its awesome to be loose in the air. But as a beginner, you should focus on being safe and learning how to jump properly, which is why I only listed a few basic techniques above.

Remember, every jump is different, it changes as the day goes on as well. So one way of clearing it earlier in the day, might change later in the day, so be careful about that.

it takes hundreds of hours to get truly comfortable jumping. and every jump is different. some jumps your lent all the way back and others your more froward.\

I went out with a member on hear the other day. It was awesome and I am glad I went because he showed me a lot of things including on how to jump so I had my first real jumps the other day :busted:.

But there are some things that I still am not so certain on. One thing that I really dislike is even when I stand and go off the end I feel like my body gets launched up by the bike somehow. Part of it is probably the suspension, I know my kdx does not have the suspension for that kind of riding so that is probably some of the bounciness I get but is there anything I can do to help minimize that?

How long is the ramp on the jumps you are trying to do? If it is shorter than the wheelbase on your bike, these will naturally kick you (we call them 'kickers'). On this type of jump, moving your weight back and pulling up on the bars will help keep the back end down.

If your bike rebounds too quickly, this will also kick you - you wont do anything about that unless there is some rebound adjustment or you have the shock revalved.

you can fix with a suspension re valve, but the suspenders aren't the real problem. You need to be loose, and in control of the bike. If you've ever seen the funniest home videos where some guy endos his bmx off a curb, that's the same problem you're having.

You need to keep your knees and elbows bent, and then guide the bike with a blip or chop of throttle depending on the jump to make it fly nice.

Based on your description, on this jump, you need to blip the throttle and pull back a little on the lip. Probably going a little slower, and preloading or trying to "bunny hop" will be more comfortable on that jump at first