Sign in to follow this  

cr 80 suspension onto 87 xr 100

hey guys ive been poking around the forum to find out what you guys use to mate the cr 80 tripples to the xr frame... i didnt find anything very useful. See the cr 80 steering stem is a hair too big to fit through the stock xr bearing carriers inside the neck of the frame. Im new to the whole cr/xr conversions (this is my first one) and i could use some expertise. I was going to swap the cr steering stem with the xr one and we would be in like flint. But i soon realized the xr stem was welded into the tripple... im wondering what size bearings and carriers might fit into the stock xr neck with the cr stem (if any) and what else would i have to do to make it fit without cutting the xr stem out of the tripple. Like i said im new to these minis and could use any help i could get. Thanks!

It's a 99 front end. I was thinking about just taking the stem out of the tripple and turning it on a lathe a little. Unless you have any other ideas?

If you can turn the stem down to the appropriate size you should be in good shape. You may have to cut down the length as well, but if the concept of turning down the stem doesn't daunt you I doubt that will.