Sign in to follow this  

Special tools required?

Ok I would like to split the cases of my motor. Rebuild time has come. I know I need a special tool to pull the fly wheel off but do I need the special tool to remove the locking nut on the driven gear so I can remove the balancer shaft? The motor is from a 08 CRF450R. In my manual it has the part number of the tool. It is Lock nut wrench, 20x24mm #07716-0020100. Or is there some other way of removing it? I have the 2007 2008 Honda service manual and I am looking at page 12-7.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I used an open ended wrench on the castle nut and it worked fine. I have also heard that you can get 10 point socket to fit, cant remember what size though.

It's not really a castle nut though. Looks like no nut I've ever really come across.

Come on guys, for all the people that have rebuilt their motors I was hoping that this would be an easy question. I can't split the cases until I get the balancer shaft and fly wheel removed. I will buy the tool if there is no other option. Thanks again.

Seriously. That might be ok to remove it. But what about re installing the nut. It does hold a gear and balancer shaft on. How would you torque it back on? Come on there must be a mech out there that has engine rebuilding experience and know's what I'm talking about.

buy the tool from honda and if your stuck on getting the balancer nut off you better get some help doing that job im not saying you cant do it but your stuck on the easy part so get some help so you dont have to do it twice

once again, hammer and a brass punch, sick a penny between two gears to jam them up and swing away. youll get plenty of torque on it. you can use some red threadlock if it makes you feel better, but, before i invested in the spanner socket, i always used a hammer and brass punch, it never failed me, and ive built tons of motors(professionally) its what i do. hope this helps.

Ok I'll try the hammer brass punch method. And I'm not stuck at an easy part of taking the motor apart I was just asking if there was a way to remove the special nut on the balance shaft without the use of the special tool Honda says to use. I could have cut the nut off with a plasma cutter and just ordered a new one. But I was just looking to see what and how the pro's on Thumper Talk would do it. And now I see. Hammer and punch. Now imagine that you take your motor to a Honda dealer that charges good money to fix or repair problems. And instead of using the proper tools they use a hammer and punch? Now imagine your on an airplane and I as the Aircraft mechanic fixed the plane your traveling on with a hammer and punch instead of the proper tool that is required for the job. Whats that do for your confidence? Anyway thank you for your help and you did answer my question.

Ok I'll try the hammer brass punch method. And I'm not stuck at an easy part of taking the motor apart I was just asking if there was a way to remove the special nut on the balance shaft without the use of the special tool Honda says to use. I could have cut the nut off with a plasma cutter and just ordered a new one. But I was just looking to see what and how the pro's on Thumper Talk would do it. And now I see. Hammer and punch. Now imagine that you take your motor to a Honda dealer that charges good money to fix or repair problems. And instead of using the proper tools they use a hammer and punch? Now imagine your on an airplane and I as the Aircraft mechanic fixed the plane your traveling on with a hammer and punch instead of the proper tool that is required for the job. Whats that do for your confidence? Anyway thank you for your help and you did answer my question.

you make it sound like your an airplane mechanic and your going to use a plasma cutter or a hammer and punch to work on your bike? remind me to never fly again you asked for a pros advice and i gave it to you ill give you no more!