Sign in to follow this  

new here, barrel problems

hi all,im from aust and my weapon is a 09 yz250 ,i complete in state enduro series and the a4de,i am a bit slack on maintanence and as such have pulled the top end down after 200hrs on stock piston,the coating on the exhaust side,bottom of stroke, of barrel the size about 2x2ml flaked off and the piston is cracked ,does it need to be recoated or replaced with a new barrel and if so does anyone know who sells the barrel in usa. cheers cam250f :thumbsup::ride:

Well, the biggest mistake was to use a top end for 200 hours IMO. I change the roller and needle bearings at 150 to 200 hours just to be sure. Piston change at 40 hours when riding hard, 50 hours when not so hard. I did get one over Ebay. Japan is closer to you no Idea out how they change for a OEM jug.

Good luck

I did the same thing on my first top end... ran it too long. I lost a chunk of plating above the exhaust port. The good news is that it can be replated, and it's cheaper than a new cylinder. The bad news is, it's still pricey. I paid $190 to get mine plated, plus $60 for welding since they found a crack between the exhaust ports. I got mine done at Millennium Technologies, but since I'm not from Australia, I don't have any recommendations for ya on where you should get the work done.

Also, you're really lucky your piston didn't come apart at the crack!!