Sign in to follow this  

what is an acceptable loss of coolant?

Thanks for looking. I have an 02 yz250, with fairly straight radiator fins, and no white smoke issues ( but plenty of spooge, but I'm learning). I run engine ice since the last rebuild about 30 hrs ago. I haven't checked the coolant until now, but like I said, no issues until now. Lastly, I can't remember any boil overs but in the 2 1/2 yrs since my last rebuild I have moved from new England to Vegas area and I do ride in the summer ( no humidity, 95-110 degrees sometimes) I'm gonna do another rebuild soon and I'd like to figure out any coolant or jetting before or at the same time. Any thoughts?

You do check it before every ride? Correct?

Im not sure what your asking? Are you asking how often to check your coolant or how much you should be losing?

If your asking how often you should check it, I pull my cap off and check mine before every ride.

If your asking how much you should be losing, the answer is zero. I flush my system once durring the winter and once half way through the season to put fresh Engine Ice in and never have any coolant loss.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I suppose I will put some effort into finding out where my coolant is going before I commit to a top end rebuild. As I stated in my first post, I'm not leaking any on the garage floor, ill pay closer attention to whether or not I'm losing any while riding. Im also not seeing any white smoke conditions. Are there any other places I should consider looking? Thanks. Tom

i havnt lost any in my RM250 in since 6 months ago, why is it that some bikes chew through a fair bit in a short amount of time and they say it normal?

how do you know you're losing coolant? You sure you're not just overfilling slightly, and its going out the weep hole/tube initially and you're just not noticing it?

I suppose its possible but highly unlikely that I'm overfilling it. But as I said, ill pay more attention as to where I'm losing any coolant and then ill report back to see what the best course of action is. I was just wondering if there is some gaskets etc. Should be changed while I redo the top end? Thanks

replace head O rings and base gasket at a minimum... dont re use them. Also a good idea to replace coolant then as well since you have to dump it anyways.

Most bikes will loose a little to a certian level. If I top mine off it will loose some out the overflow hole as the coolant gets hot and expands. When it cools back down the coolant is about level with the top of the fins in the radiator (down maybe 1/2" from full). Never budges once it reaches that level. This is why many bikes have catch cans, hold that little bit that expands out, and lets it back in as the system cools.