Sign in to follow this  

New FMF Q4 available for new Beta's

Someone was asking about FMF quiet pipes for Beta and at that time the only FMF available was the Power Core pipe....I'm running one on my 08 525 and it's loud. The Q4 for the new Beta's are being sold on Ebay now. Maybe this is old news but the first one I've seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FMF-RACING-BETA-RR-400-450-520-2010-11-Q4-MUFFLER-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item4aaf220b13&item=320765823763&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Someone was asking about FMF quiet pipes for Beta and at that time the only FMF available was the Power Core pipe. The Q4 for the new Beta's are being sold on Ebay now. Maybe this is old news but the first I've seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FMF-RACING-BETA-RR-400-450-520-2010-11-Q4-MUFFLER-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item4aaf220b13&item=320765823763&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

They've got the Q4 header and tip on American Beta Accessory since I've been Betatized. Expensive but I hear it gives a bit more in the HP's. I really like the stock unit myself. I wonder who makes it? It is quality made and looks good. Also just the right sound. :thumbsup:

Yeh, the stock pipe is so stealth its crazy. I like my Power Core open on the street but its too loud for offroad stuff in my area. With the sparky in its ok though. The FMF is a quality pipe ...perfect fit and finish when I installed mine.

Yeh, the stock pipe is so stealth its crazy. I like my Power Core open on the street but its too loud for offroad stuff in my area. With the sparky in its ok though. The FMF is a quality pipe ...perfect fit and finish when I installed mine.

Weird... I had to loosen my sub-frame and beat on it with a hammer :thumbsup:. I got the Q4 slip on on my 520RS-sm.

Right now it backfires pretty bad, but runs perfectly. Does anyone know how it would be if I got the smog crap off of my bike? Would I need to do any rejetting? (If you've put the Q4 on your RR model, did you have to change anything?) Also, any more detailed description on how to remove the Smog control? YouTube vid or something?

Removal of smog crap will make the jetting lean. You may only need a twist of the air screw if the bike was sopt on. If the bike was lean before then pilot change is a must.

Weird... I had to loosen my sub-frame and beat on it with a hammer :thumbsup:. I got the Q4 slip on on my 520RS-sm.

Right now it backfires pretty bad, but runs perfectly. Does anyone know how it would be if I got the smog crap off of my bike? Would I need to do any rejetting? (If you've put the Q4 on your RR model, did you have to change anything?) Also, any more detailed description on how to remove the Smog control? YouTube vid or something?

I have the FMF Q4 on my 2011 520 RS with the emissions repaired. The can was located where a tool kit resides on the RRs. There's room for a spare tube if the can and tool kit are not behind the side plate. One must remove and plug where one of the hoses goes into the carb. Other than that, in lieu of spending more money on hoses and such I just left the other hoses in place. The tank fill cap is vented to the frame. I've never had any issues with backfiring either with the stock or JD jet kit combined with the FMF Q4.

No jetting modification was required. Mine came with 80 main jet. That got replaced when I went to the JD jet kit at a later date. The main differences I noticed between the stock jetting and the JD jet kit were that with the stock jetting the bike was more manageable, softer at the bottom while a bit rougher at the top of the RPM range compared with the JD jet kit. The JD jet kit uses a 78 main jet and their triple taper needle.

After the re-jetting and using the elastics on the accelerator pump the bike's character has changed dramatically. It pulls really hard from the bottom of the rev range and is very linear in the power delivery all the way up to the top of the revs whereas before it was softer on the bottom and seemed to mellow out and run a bit rougher at the top of the rev range. There doesn't seem to be much of a change in the mid-range other than a bit more power. More power everywhere.

I've even noticed improved fuel economy, my guess is because the bike runs smoother and I don't need to rev the bike to get the power I want now that it's got the JD jet kit in it.

My bike is set up for sea level. The only time I've noticed any drop in power was at 10,000+ ft. with no changes to the sea level settings. The bike still started up perfectly but was just lower on power at that elevation. Again, I've never had any backfiring issues.

I have the FMF Q4 on my 2011 520 RS with the emissions repaired. The can was located where a tool kit resides on the RRs. There's room for a spare tube if the can and tool kit are not behind the side plate. One must remove and plug where one of the hoses goes into the carb. Other than that, in lieu of spending more money on hoses and such I just left the other hoses in place. The tank fill cap is vented to the frame. I've never had any issues with backfiring either with the stock or JD jet kit combined with the FMF Q4.

No jetting modification was required. Mine came with 80 main jet. That got replaced when I went to the JD jet kit at a later date. The main differences I noticed between the stock jetting and the JD jet kit were that with the stock jetting the bike was more manageable, softer at the bottom while a bit rougher at the top of the RPM range compared with the JD jet kit. The JD jet kit uses a 78 main jet and their triple taper needle.

After the re-jetting and using the elastics on the accelerator pump the bike's character has changed dramatically. It pulls really hard from the bottom of the rev range and is very linear in the power delivery all the way up to the top of the revs whereas before it was softer on the bottom and seemed to mellow out and run a bit rougher at the top of the rev range. There doesn't seem to be much of a change in the mid-range other than a bit more power. More power everywhere.

I've even noticed improved fuel economy, my guess is because the bike runs smoother and I don't need to rev the bike to get the power I want now that it's got the JD jet kit in it.

My bike is set up for sea level. The only time I've noticed any drop in power was at 10,000+ ft. with no changes to the sea level settings. The bike still started up perfectly but was just lower on power at that elevation. Again, I've never had any backfiring issues.

Sounds awesome! Ok... here's what I've been told to do. . .

Pull the hose from the side of the engine, right where the carb connects (copper washer). Then plug the hole. Remove all the hoses that branch from the can itself. The guy I talked to mentioned drilling a hole in the catch pan that is below the carb to allow it to vent I guess?

He said it's pretty simple, and I should see everything when I start going at it, but I don't want to jump into it w/o knowing exactly what I'm doing. I wish there were specific instructions posted somewhere. When I finally do it, I guess I'll make it or a video.