Sign in to follow this  

New 2010 XTZ660 Tenere

I finally made the plunge and picked up a demo 2010 XTZ660 Tenere with only 278km on it, so it didn't have to many test rides. I'm loving it awesome for riding to work. Haven't taken it off road to far as the stock road orientated tyres are a bit sketchy. Can't what to put a set of Knobbies and some other protection on it and hit the dirt. Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere

_A207005.jpg

_A207002.jpg

Nice. We can't get those, so I got the Super Tenere as a consolation purchase. But I was interested in the Tenere.

How does it ride and handle?

Nice. We can't get those, so I got the Super Tenere as a consolation purchase. But I was interested in the Tenere.

New version or old? My dad had a 91 Super Tenere. Now an Africa Twin! Those 660s are amazing looking and not a tank.

New version or old? My dad had a 91 Super Tenere. Now an Africa Twin! Those 660s are amazing looking and not a tank.

2012 XT1200Z. It is a Beast, but a very capable one.

2012 XT1200Z. It is a Beast, but a very capable one.

Yeah!? Nice! I was at Yamaha a week ago and they had a blue one. Looks alitte heavier then my DRZ but if I was going to alaska im pretty sure I would buy a Tenere.

Yeah!? Nice! I was at Yamaha a week ago and they had a blue one. Looks alitte heavier then my DRZ but if I was going to alaska im pretty sure I would buy a Tenere.

I've taken the beast out to where I ride my WR250R. I can't go as fast, but I can still get there. I bought it to do distance traveling: I was always trying to take my FZ to places I shouldn't. The ST does that job and handles extremely well on mountain roads, too. Better than 575 pounds should. Also great for taking a passenger along. I considered a FJR, but I'm too dirt oriented for one of those.

I was hoping they would bring the XT660 series in as well, but they probably won't. You know us Yanks: if it isn't a cruiser, it doesn't sell. I don't care for cruisers, but many do.

It rides and handles well on road and equally so on the dirt just the tyres let it down on the dirt due to insufficient grip from the road orientated tyres. I haven't ridden it to work the last couple of afternoons (on night shift) due to it raining and no wet weather gear yet.

Riding in the rain, especially at night, isn't what I would voluntarily do. When I lived in WA, night riding was especially hazardous with the Ross (edit: roos, for kangaroo) everywhere. I still have a scar on my left ankle where we were knocked down by a big grey after dark one.

But we certainly didn't ride much in the rain, not where we were.

Edited by Yamaguy55

Please pardon my naivety , but what the heck is a Ross ?

Stoopid speelcheck.....

Roo as in kangaroo. Going home from work at about 11:30 at night, just pulled onto the highway when one came out of nowhere and kicked the bottom of the front wheel in passing, down we went. The bike skidded off the road and down the bank, I was sitting in the middle of the lane trying to figure out what happened. Lucky no cars there at that time of night. Crawled down and shut off the bike, realized I had ground through my boot all the way to the anklebone on the left side. Still hurts in damp weather.

Waiting for the doc to show up, (on call) they gave me a shot of Demerol, by the time he got there I was laying flat on the floor so the room would stop spinning. Plus, it was cool down there and it felt good with my face against the cool tile. The Doc didn't understand what was going on, thought I was in extreme pain, and had them give me another shot of the same stuff. I was loopy for hours. Some would say still. It hurt pretty bad, but at that point, I didn't care.

Ahhh: fond memories of days gone by; that was 1978, but I forget what month.

Of course Roos . There aren't many in Washington ( Wa ) state , but I'd fair a guess that they might be abundant in Western Australia ( WA ). Sometimes I see things that just aren't so . I write it off as part of being dyslexic . That helps me feel a bit better anyway . :thumbsup:

Sorry about your having to test the side leather on that pair of boots . I recall 1978 . It was a pretty good year . Many good times and that was my last year in the USAF . And , If it helps you feel any better , I sprained my left ankle , coincidentally , seriously bad that year . I had to be off it for a few weeks . Crutches are a great 'sympathy' getter from the ladies , at least they worked for me . :ride:

Of course Roos . There aren't many in Washington ( Wa ) state , but I'd fair a guess that they might be abundant in Western Australia ( WA ). Sometimes I see things that just aren't so . I write it off as part of being dyslexic . That helps me feel a bit better anyway . :ride:

Sorry about your having to test the side leather on that pair of boots . I recall 1978 . It was a pretty good year . Many good times and that was my last year in the USAF . And , If it helps you feel any better , I sprained my left ankle , coincidentally , seriously bad that year . I had to be off it for a few weeks . Crutches are a great 'sympathy' getter from the ladies , at least they worked for me . :worthy:

I was recently married, so I had a pre-load of sympathy. Couldn't rightly expect to exploit it another way.

Because the skin was gone all the way to the bone, they thought that by packing it with gauze, letting it crust over, then ripping it of each day would make it grow back without stitches. I started cringing every day when I got up, hobbled in for my daily pain dose, and then after about a week and a half of this S&M relationship, they decided that I needed stitches after all, stitched me up and I healed right away. Well, sort of. I'm still a bit gimpy on that side. But now I'm old and decrepit enough you think it is just my age. :thumbsup:

Kinda neat , in a way , how age masks 'deficiencies' . :thumbsup: